• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What substrate to use?

Deano3

Hi all my ADA 60-F should be here any day now , i am planning a iwagumi style aquarium and planting dwarf hair grass and a longer grass in the back behind rocks, i dont have a clue on what substrate to purchase or how much to buy the tank dimentions are 60cm X 30cm X 18cm (24in X 12in X 7in), i dont want to sepand a fortune on substrate either

any help would be great
thanks Dean

I would go ADA Amazonia Powder. You'll need 9 Litres for a decent slope.
Plus extra can go away till you need it again, in either another scape or Tank.

The normal sized grain will be ok too, but I prefer the smaller grain size aesthetically.

If Buying from TGM, it'll cost £49.99 for the Powder and approx £35 for the normal version. So buy something worth at least £10.01 too, to qualify for free shipping with powder :)

I've only used ADA, Ebi Gold and Fluval stratum substrate. And every single penny you put into the substrate is worth it. Ebi and ADA are exceptional, Fluval was terrible.

Thanks again Whitney so you would advise on ADA I will have a look when get home, would 9 l be ok for the size tank and be plenty ? I have used the fluval in my spec ages ago and breaks up and very light, do you think powder would be best ? Would it only be around 50 pounds all in ? That would pretty much be all I wanted to spend anyway

Thanks again Dean

Deano3 said:
Thanks again Whitney so you would advise on ADA I will have a look when get home, would 9 l be ok for the size tank and be plenty ? I have used the fluval in my spec ages ago and breaks up and very light, do you think powder would be best ? Would it only be around 50 pounds all in ? That would pretty much be all I wanted to spend anyway

Thanks again Dean

Ha, Whitney.

I use Flora-base. They have a 'Fine' version and normal. It's the same job as the ADA stuff really just cheaper.

http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/substra ... 2_220.html

Ha, 'How will I know, it's just a feeling'.

Yeah mate, I would recommend the 9ltr. You'll have some left over for sure.

I would have Said only buy 2 x 3 litre bags, but that's about the same price, so the most cost effective method is 9.

It's a personal decision at the end of the day, I've got a 60x40x40 and I used about 12L, with a big bank.

9 l it is I will get it ordered when get home, yeah it's a shallow tank look on YouTube lovely size I think, thinking about building a aquarium stand for it aswel with Mdf from b and q but just reading up on it at the mo, I will want the pipes to pop out of top of cabinet so might make it 70 cm long so room for them

Thanks again Witney and everyone for help
Dean

aqua essentials have £5 off but dont have amazonia only malaya and african would malaya look ok ? also ordering my mini landscape rocks from there was going to order 10kg you think that will be ok ?

lastly do we get any discount from aqua essentials ?

thanks dean

It's 50 pound on there for the powder , just wondering if one I listed will look ok and of rocks etc should be right amount

Thanks

Back