• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What sort of temp is the lowest for endlers?

AquaBonsai99

I have seen very mixing results online, and I wanted to ask, what is the coldest endlers can breed and thrive in? I have seen them in around 17 to 20 degrees c online, but I wanted to clear it up before I tried it. I would buy six, 2 males 4 females, and slowly lower the temp over a month until it is room temp. What are your experiences, and would this work?

Hi @AquaBonsai99 I haven't had Endlers for ages. They are fairly adaptable to a pretty wide temperature range, but I would not go lower than 20-21 C / 68-70 F... while they may tolerate a lower temp they wont be comfortable and they wont be as lively and colorful. Also make sure other possible livestock you may add to the tank will be fine at that temperature.

Cheers,
Michael

I'd suggest a little warmer as you would like them to thrive and breed. Keeping them cooler slows the metabolism which can extend their life and stop them breeding (which isn't a bad thing) but keeping them to cold can be detrimental. Some temperature seasonality is definitely beneficial to lots of fish species mimicking the wild. The trouble with guppies and endlers is that they are often far removed from hardy wild stock, so the same rules aren't necessarily true.
They do well at 22c but 23-24c is probably an ideal temperature. It's the same story as with bettas really. They can survive without heaters in tiny tanks but give them space and some warmth and they just become different fish.

Back