• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

what route would you pick?

pjf220

Seedling
Looking to buy the filer/s for my tank and now unsure of the best route to take. I was looking at the Eheim 2080, but now considering the option of 2 smaller filters to match the flow rate of the big bertha.

Benefits:

large canister and filter size
twin outlets
10x flow
less frequent filter changes required
less overall space taken up in cabinet

Drawbacks:

More expensive initial outlay
More expensive long term running costs (media replacements) (possibly)
one filter, it goes wrong, no back up plan.

Benefits:

2 filters, one packs up, tank still has filtration
Cheaper initial cost
Cheaper long term running costs (media replacement) (possibly)
more than 10x flow

Drawbacks:

smaller combined overall filter volume
more frequent filter changes
more space taken up in cabinet

So as you can see, each has it's benefits and drawbacks. It seems the main balance is between two filters for a back up plan if one fails against a much larger filter volume, thereby filtering water more effectively. The cost of media replacement is unknown. not sure how often the 2 would require changing compared to the larger filter that needs less frequent changes? The media for the 2 comes to a combined £25 approx, compared to £60 for the larger filter so if the smaller ones need changing twice as often, your still cheaper, but always filtering less water per hour despite getting more flow per hour.

I'm looking at £260 for the two, or £300 for the bigger one unit so it's a big initial outlay and I don't want to regret making the wrong decision so any advice is very welcome.

Going for the two smaller is cheaper, gives you more flow and gives you redundancy. This would be my personal choice.

Filter media should generally last a considerable amount of time, so the cost factor isn`t really an issue here.

Dave.

Hi,

I wouldn't do either of those options with that budget.

For £260 you could buy two Tetratech EX1200 online and have about £100 spare to but top notch filter media for them i.e. 5litres eheiem substrat pro £45, 500ml purigen £25, Jbl blue fine filter foam sheet (cut to suit) £10, and 3 litres of ceramic rings £20.

Regards, Chris.

Back