• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What plants to go with?

Gordon Hawkes

Seedling
Evening everyone, going to be putting together a scape in a 35L nano tank for shrimps nearer to Christmas, I have everything I need from the tank itself, to the lily pipes for the external filter. Except of course the plants.

I'm going to go with something simple, I have two large lumps of lava rock and a few smallish ones, so I'm intending on having two high areas divided by the rocks and a sanded clear channel up the middle, sloped backwards. I'm going to be ordering plants online as LFS doesn't have much selection. This is my first time doing so, so would like advice on when the best day to order them would be? The morning, the day before planting?

I've got a small pressurized CO2 system, powerful lighting and ADA amazonia substrate soil and will fertilize with ferropol 24 and weekly. I know I want some sort of carpeting plants for the lower areas, but am stumped for which plants to get. First, how many individual types to get, how much quantity of each, and which? Some advice on ideal plants for my setup, or simply, for a beginner would be great. I was reading about super gluing some plants like moss onto my lava rock, advisable?

Thanks very much.

If you can post actual dimensions on the tank, maybe some scape diagrams or photos ... it would be easier to suggest plant volumes needed.

Why not set up the tank except for the plants, this way you can work out filter return placements, check flow around hardscape, substrate will "saturate" (less plant "float" on Day 2) ... then you can drain tank down for actual planting.

Most plants are fine to sit a day or two before you get them sorted in the tank, when to place order depends on who you're ordering from, whether they carry sufficient stock on hand etc

Be careful with the combination of a small CO2 system & a powerful light - it's a common mistake to supply light in excess of available CO2 ... often resulting in an algae storm ;)

What's your planned maintenance schedule? Lighting? CO2?
remember that ADA soil tends to release ammonia for the first month or so

Back