• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What other hobby's do you have?

Purchasing/maintaining/using high end hand tools. Just starting out really.

4ytyzu6a.jpg

e4asyqy8.jpg

Very nice , id love some old quality tools all these modern c##p just dont compare

Don't know why, but I just love the colour of manganese bronze or brass. Especially when it becomes dull and then you polish it up. goes shiny Gold :D

Purchasing/maintaining/using high end hand tools. Just starting out really.

4ytyzu6a.jpg

e4asyqy8.jpg

Very nice Nath...there is something about these well crafted and highly engineered bespoke tools that takes me back aways. I've got a few myself - most were passed down through the family.

OK then...since we're talking about collecting...I'll reveal my more ummm...feminine designer side...I collect old and retro stuff mostly books and glass. To be more exact retro Czechoslovakian "Sklo Union" glass made behind the Iron Curtain, and what can very loosely be described as antique books. This is a sample of my collection...nothing valuable and mostly picked up from junk and charity shops.

10608336515_f2b22d42ac_c.jpg

10608685023_182ae17f69_c.jpg

Very nice Nath...there is something about these well crafted and highly engineered bespoke tools that takes me back aways. I've got a few myself - most were passed down through the family.

Thanks Troi,

I love sharpening and making sure they always look good as well as resistant to rust and the like.

I will be purchasing a bronze low angle block plane next :
Lie-Nielsen Nos. 102 & 103 Block Planes | Axminster.co.uk
Or this:
Lie-Nielsen No. 60 1/2 Low Angle Block Plane | Axminster.co.uk

It's addictive, but I don't know why.
I suppose they are nice to pick up and use in comparison to my site plane etc. As for obvious reasons, this is for the shop only!

Nice collection of vases Troi, now whip me up a Wabi kusa on the double!! :D

Cheers,

Awesome looking pieces of kit. I was going to mention that antique tools, and the like, are still affordable...but these things are definitely quality and quality obviously costs...
I've a Wabi kusa...ish thing in the making - just some Hc Cuba, Hydrocotyle, and tenellus that I had spare, so nothing special.

10609326003_ca9686b580_c.jpg

A thing of beauty and lethal too, I shouldn't wonder...just like some women I know...sorry used to know before I got marriedo_O Are they neural buoyancy?

Music is probably my biggest hobby, collecting and listening to it rather than playing although I have done a bit of that in the past. Reading about it and sometimes writing about it too. I like music from all genres, the more 'out there' the better though. Currently trying to put an article together for Mojo magazine about odd proggy punk band The Cardiacs.

Along with many others on here it seems, I'm also a big reader of fiction. All sorts but my favourite author is Haruki Murukami. With regards to Sci Fi which I only seldom delve into, Iain M Banks culture novels really did it for me.

I also like writing, I contribute to a comedy based website and attempt to make the odd joke on Twitter. I'm attempting to write my own novel, but so far have taken two years and not even half way into first draft. I'm hoping that one day you may see my name in Waterstones but I will probably be an octogenarian by then.

I like music, im a petrol head. Love taking my dogs out on long walks!

I've been doing motor based stuff for nearly 20 years...

From relatively fast Vauxhall's;

August-30-6.jpg

To ludicrously fast Vauxhall's (had 730bhp before it got taken to bits. Has a parachute to slow it down too!... my pals car that we raced for a number of years)

9d550460.jpg

Video for comedy value;

to Shonky Ford's...

f9368ac9.jpg

And now I spend my spare time running drift events at a track in Birmingham - see Welcome to Facebook — Log in, sign up or learn more

Promo video:

How did you get 730HP out of the Vauxhall? ... that was a great run on skinny tyres! :thumbup:

A well built engine, a massive turbo and a lot of revs! And a really really good tuner :) (RS Tuning in Leeds)

Was the fastest FWD car in the UK at one point and still is the fastest FWD car on treaded tyres iirc :)

Awesome dude!! :)
My mate runs a 35 year old classic Ford, it is only 1300cc & about 190BHP but he is extremely competitive in most local events.
In this vid, John is allowed to take a passenger for a charity event, this is run up Guernsey's famous hill climb.
The very fast guys can do it in under 30 sec in their 5l 800hp computerised traction control racing cars but my mate is not actually that far behind.
Great vid .....

Same car running a 12 sec down our windy coast road sprint, it have a corner & a brow & is scary as....

Back