• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What kind of fertilization for my first wabi kusa

Mannic05

I going to start my first wabi kusa project in a couple of days. But the only qeustion that still have at the moment is what kind of fertilization must I use for an wabi kusa. DIY or an all in one from the garden centre?.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Moto G (4) met Tapatalk

Hi!
You have tow options, like in aqvarium.

First, you need a fertil substrate, that can also be two different kind:
1. On the bottom of the bowl, over the gravel layer, you may add a long term fertil substrate covered by a subtstrate for planting.
2. Over the gravel from the bottom, you can add an universal fertilizer substrate, that is also the substrate for planting.

In my wabi kusa I choose second method, using a higher universal substrate (Tropica Aqvarium Soil) because I used a lot of HC, with very delicate roots.

Then, regarding periodical fertilization, each time when I changed the water from my 100 liters tank, I kept 1 litter of water (containing liquid fertilizers from the water) and, each day, I have sprayed the plants with this water. But, this will work only if you have inside the bowl a high humidity and plants are constantly covered with condensed water. There are people that try this and they burned the leaves, using high concentration of liquid fertilizers and applying directly on the plants. Not working this way.

Thanks for your post, that's a very nice tip about that aquarium water.

I will build up the substrate whit a small layer of kava rubble, and topping it off whit Dennerle scapers soil.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Moto G (4) met Tapatalk

Hi
Instead liquid feeds U can also use some slow release fertiliser granules like Osmocote wich will feed the plants about 6 months.I am not able to afford fancy branded aqua soils atm and tbh dont really see the point of using one in wabi kusa as U dont need it flooded just moist .If U have some multi purpose garden compost will do the trick. It grows plant just fine.
Have a look at the emersed growing section of the forum.There are many usefull articles in there.
Regards Konsa

Here is one example of plain multi purpose garden compost with Osmocote.
Its been running for about 5 months now and have trimmed it to the bone several times
k0impe.jpg

Plants are:
Hygrophila araguaia
Cryptocoryne albida brown
Cryptocoryne wendtii brown
Monte carlo
Staurogine repens
Bucephalandra mini needle leaf
Bucephalandra brownie purple
Bucephalandra alamanda v3
Riccardia chamedryfolia
Dont even spray that much now.