• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What is this?!!

EA James

Hi all,
I’ve just noticed these weird brown things in the tank, any ideas what it could be? The shorter bits look like some sort of fungus to me. 8711D7EB-A7B6-412A-A65E-BA1597BC9D77.jpeg 94624C16-68B9-40E2-B741-FD11C87EE2A4.jpeg
Cheers

You are the lucky owner of some Thorea hispida :thumbup:
A quick google search says this is a rare red algae?
All this work I'm putting into the tank to prevent algae now I'm lucky to be growing it 😆

Any more info on it Miranda or @X3NiTH
I'd rather listen to you guys than spend ages reading what not might be true on the web!

Cheers

I'm not going to be of much help other than giving you the id lol I've tried several times to introduce this to some of my tanks but failed dismally.
Caloglossa cf beccarii (another red algae)on the other hand merrily rampages through the moss in most of my tanks...good job I like it :lol:

I’ve never encountered it and I wouldn’t know anymore about it than the same sources you would find online. It’s unusual and rare and I would assume it’s a good sign of a healthy biodiverse tank, it’s very reminiscent of Marine macroalgae, I wouldn’t remove it, I would let it thrive as long as it doesn’t become a problem.

:)

I’ve never encountered it and I wouldn’t know anymore about it than the same sources you would find online. It’s unusual and rare and I would assume it’s a good sign of a healthy biodiverse tank, it’s very reminiscent of Marine macroalgae, I wouldn’t remove it, I would let it thrive as long as it doesn’t become a problem.

:)
That sounds good to me, fingers crossed it is a good sign eh! I love the way the tank is like its own little ecosystem randomly producing life. Its fascinating. Like my tiny Buces that just seem to have appeared, I counted 4 earlier in different spots when the lights came on. One is growing in the root system of a Micorsorum sp and its leaves must be only 1mm, Its tiny! I'll try and get some pics up of it as i know you're a Buce fan!

We have a couple of <"Thorea hispida threads">.
Nice one Darrel, I'll take a look

Cheers guys :)

Back