• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What is this?

Kezzab

White coral like growth on wood. Don't think it's fungus. Been there a long time. Spreading slowly. What is it?

20181204_221534.jpg

I found something simmular in a wooden garden tub last spring..

This is how it looked in april
dscf1017-jpg.jpg

This a few months later..
dsc_0024-jpg.jpg

https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/mission-bathtub-2018.52227/page-8#post-526932

Did put it under a microscope to see, in my case it wasn't Bryozoan.. I did send pictures of it all over the place to bryologists and other biology related forums. Nobody ever seen it before, no answer what it could be. :)

Personaly, with looking at it under the microscope, i thought closest resamblance i could find are Algae and or aqautic lichen.. Lichen can grow coral like structures and are a symbiosis of algae, funges and bacteria. There are indeed some Rodophyta algae sp. that have simular coral like grow form, but these are extremely rare same as aqautic lichen also rare but excist. Anyway it's just a guess.. Never found an answer to the mystery. (Invasion of the body snatchers?)

In a way it didn't like warm temperatures because it slowly dissapaered during the summer. No idea if it ever comes back.

I was thinking that red algae wich is sold/used as decorative, just can't find it's name.
That might be Caloglossa sp. <( cf becarri )>
:)

Back