• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What is the quietest canister you've used?

Yes got to agree about the priming pump, it's not the best is it. I used it when I first got it but soon learned to leave it alone and let it self prime, maybe that's why iv never had a leak.

It is due an upgrade though hence the interest in this post!
i love that filter once i fixed it, some info that can help people

The pros of those filter (ex 1200 plus here) are :

• Great flow, great impeller
  • Huge canister
  • So silent

There is many cons :

• They made rotative Inlet/outlet which is cool but also mean that they needed to put 2 more seals to avoid leak. I advice to put silicone grease to increase seal lifespan, because if you move them a lot, friction will kill the seal soon enough. Use a guitar mediator to remove seal without damaging it.
  • The flow valves are leak friendly, built to break, should avoid touching them actually.
  • In the inflow chamber below the priming system, there is two little plastic thing that open when there is flow though them, they can make ratling sound.

I always put the inlet of the aquarium near the top that way if it leak, the house will not be full of water

Hi all,
Yes got to agree about the priming pump, it's not the best is it. I used it when I first got it but soon learned to leave it alone and let it self prime, maybe that's why iv never had a leak.
I <"hate priming buttons">, they are just a source of <"extra complexity and leaks">. I have my external filters at the same level* as the tank, but you can still prime (nearly) all filters with a mouth syphon.

*edit "just below"

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hi all,

I <"hate priming buttons">, they are just a source of <"extra complexity and leaks">. I have my external filters at the same level as the tank, but you can still prime (nearly) all filters with a mouth syphon.

cheers Darrel

Are the canisters taller than your tanks?

All of the external canisters I have are gravity fed and the tanks I have are all under 36cm high atm.

I’d love to have a canister filter next to the tanks, as it would be a bit easier for me.

Hi all,
Are the canisters taller than your tanks?

All of the external canisters I have are gravity fed and the tanks I have are all under 36cm high atm.
No, all lower than the water level, but they are all on the work-tops, with the tanks on mats. In the image below the tanks are on polystyrene blocks and the filter is just on the window-sill, giving some me some gravity to work with.

I don't have any large filters, so they all have some gravity feed from inlet to pump head. It does mean that you have to be pretty rigorous with cleaning etc or they become noisy and cavitation can occur.

I replaced the Eheim Ecco (on the far right) with a Eheim Classic 2213 and I took the smaller tank (it has an internal) filter home, but the 2' tank still sits on the same polystyrene block.

tank_backoflab-jpg.jpg

cheers Darrel

I’ve been using the eheim classics and they’ve been very quiet for me. I had used sun sun in the past and while they were serviceable I found them to be loud and the components felt cheap and easy to break (but never had a problem). The reason I keep going back to the classics is that there are very few parts that can leak or break and if they do there are tons of parts for them that are easily purchased. My 2213 has been going for 6 or 7 years now and I never had any problems with it. Sometimes simplicity is best if it’s not broke don’t fix it.

I've had a few over the years. Eheim have always been the quietest and probably the most efficient; most recently the largest Eheim Ecco Pro. And even though it's getting on for 10 years old it's still going strong and very quiet.

Last edited:
Hi all,
Do Eheim’s still use ceramic shafts?
<"Yes">.
I’m sure they’re quieter than stainless steel ones
I think they are. I've never had one get to the state of wear that would make it noisy, because I've always managed to break them before that, because they are very prone to snapping if you try and bend them.

cheers Darrel

I am looking for a new external filter which is reasonably powerful (for my 360 litre aquarium), spares are available and above all is silent. I had thought about a Eheim until I heard the Eheim Professional 4 + 600 on MD Fishtanks latest video (the hum of the filter was clearly audible). I will go for a second hand one with a budget of 100(ish). Does anyone have a recommendation?

I am looking for a new external filter which is reasonably powerful (for my 360 litre aquarium), spares are available and above all is silent. I had thought about a Eheim until I heard the Eheim Professional 4 + 600 on MD Fishtanks latest video (the hum of the filter was clearly audible). I will go for a second hand one with a budget of 100(ish). Does anyone have a recommendation?

Any canister plus a good DC pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had Ehiem classics, a Tetratec, several Fluvals, and now a Oase Themo Biomaster 600. This Oase is probably the least quiet of them all; there is a perceptible hum from it. And this when it stands on foam to help deaden sounds.

However, when I think about it, perhaps I'm doing it an injustice. A forum member above made a wise point; noise perception is very subjective. My previous canister filters were often in a room with several tanks running, sometimes with water returns splashing away. Sometimes I had those filters when my children were young and rooms rang with the delighted noises of toddlers who'd found that the cardboard boxes their discarded toys came in were just right for hours of fun.

And today this thread has resulted in me listening closely to my Oase at an early time in the morning when all is silent outside, and even inside. Thus, any noise it makes is magnified.

In addition, this Oase 600 is so downright useful, with its built-in heater and clever pre-filter, that I'm inclined to accept its hum as a small price to pay. It's the most sophisticated canister filter I've ever had. I appreciate that sometimes you just want a simple filter, since simplicity often equals reliability - less to go wrong - but this suits my needs.

Mind you, it's in the downstairs front room; if I had it in my sleeping quarters, I'd go for a smaller model, or another make.

Since I'm not in the hobby nearly as long as you lot, I'm pulling from a far smaller catalogue. Canister filters I own are:

Oase Biomaster Thermo 850
x2 Fluval 207

The Fluval wins easily, I have both tanks in my small office, in the same cabinet setups and around equal distance from my ears and with the cabinet closed I can't hear it from my seating position a few feet away, the 850 is easily audible. Whilst I think the Oase is an overall solid filter, I actually think the Fluval is better. I prefer the pre-filter system, you can pick them up cheap (got one opened but new for £80) and it seems they get a little closer to their listed flow rating than Oase (but I haven't tested this so can't confirm). If only they included a heater. I'm considering adding an in-line heater to my 207 tank instead of switching to an Oase equivalent as I rate them so highly :)

You probably have thought about this already… but if something is loud, sound proofing materials around it could help along with vibration absorption etc…

Back