• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

what happens if power goes out

Deano3

Hi there i currently have my fluval spec around 8l and i am going to be setting up my fluval ebi 30l were i live in north east we often seem to have power cuts sometimes last for hours, never thought about it til recently what would happen or wat should i do if heater and everyhting goes off ? would only take hours for the water to get to room temp wich isnt very warm in winter at all, is there batter back up heaters or something ?

thanks dean

Hi dean.
Keep a spare plastic bottle to one side so that should the power go off, just heat up some water in a pan, fil the bottle and float it in the tabk to keep up the temperature. Also if its off for a while maybe change a little of the water too as there's no filter to be taking in the nasties. I've had a few power cuts and originally I rang my energy supplier and they gave me lots of tips on what to do with my tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assuming you have a gas hob of course :lol:

Although this is a good idea I could use warm water from my gas boiler. This isn't something I had ever thought about but it is worth considering as I have ££££'s invested in livestock.

Andy

I thought that - I'm all electric! I would have a tank full of hot water though so I could use that to keep the temp up in the smaller tanks. I get quite a few power cuts here too but thankfully they tend to be very short!!

Viv

Just in case of a power cut i have a battery powered Air Pump w Air-stone that keeps my o2 levels up while i wait for the power come on and for heat i fill a few 2ltr bottle with hot water boiled off the hob then float them on the top of the tanks water

Power cuts down are way can be quite rare but we have are far share and touch wood Ive always been OK

i am electric hob and so is my mother just up the street any other ideas ? just incase as i have been wothout power for 4-5 hours

wanted to start camping anyway so soppose could buy a mini stove and keep that as a backup ?

thanks for them great ideas though would never have thought of that
Dean

Once lost power for seven day's during ice storm which knocked out power for half of city.
In my attempt's to save the fishes, I used battery operated air pumps such as those fisherman use in bait bucket's.
I wrapped the tank's in sleeping bag's, and placed camp lantern's on upturned five gallon bucket's under the tank's to help heat the substrate.
Could not leave lantern's burning too long or fumes got too bad inside the small apartment.(temps outside below zero)
Went through a #%*! load of D batteries for air pumps and maybe slept twelve hours out of the week.
I managed to keep the fish alive though sluggish, in near 60 degree water for five day's with assurances that power would be restored at any moment ,but lost them all by the seventh day with exception of single clown pleco.
I spent the $$ soon after, for portable generator and have hopes that I don't ever need to use it except for camping.

wow hope that never happens lol great idea though, going to order a small compact stove

Back