• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What exactly causes BBA? Part 2 - Bacterial imbalance

Aww man where's the pic? Lol. When you say low light. How low exactly? What is the ph of your tanks again? Btw does anyone know why I can't upload pictures straight from my mobile? Also please excuse me for not liking any posts. I really don't know what I'm doing here yet, still finding my feet.

Do you mean picture of my plastic container? :) I am not sure I want to upload one. :mad: The ph of my water is 7.4. The light is arcadia stretch led 18W. It just barely illuminates it, lol but for the type of plants it may do. The corys made a mud bath again...I can't figure out from where because I put plenty of sand on top.

I apologize for not reading through the entire 23 pages (so far). Maybe, if there are such posts in this thread, someone will point me to the page that talks about how to get rid of BBA, not what causes it.

The topic of getting rid of BBA (not what causes it) has been of interest to me for some years. I have found a solution that works every time. BBA disintegrates in a very short time - from 3 hours to 20-30 days. Guaranteed. BBA is by far not the worst algae a tank can get, not even close, but for the modern enthusiasts the planted tank hobby is a fog of commercial and personal biases so BBA is considered pretty much a plague :D

Anyway - how do you get rid of BBA? Or rather - How do you never get BBA? There are no chemicals or anything to add. It is not a question of low or high CO2 and no, not a question of fertilizers. Yes, it is a question of microbiology. Which species of microorganisms is not important because what is more important is the answer to the question "How do I setup the tank so the proper microorganisms establish themselves?". I like to call that "properly established planted tank". Knowing exactly what kinds of microorganisms you need to have a BBA-free tank you will still have to answer the same question. And honestly, it is easier to answer that question than to figure out which microorganisms are crucial. Note that I avoid the word "bacteria" because that is not the end of the story.

So, yes I do have a way to setup a "properly established planted tank". It's extremely simple and logical. I'm not the only one that can do that. No, I won't share it on a plate. In America we like to stand above the crowd, be #1, champions, leaders, whatever to make ourselves feel important so here I am if you want to take it that way :D. And yes, I do have pictures showing BBA disintegrating in a matter of hours or weeks but this post comes across as cocky to the average reader as it is so enough of it. If anything - it'd be wise to start discussing ways to properly setup and establish a planted tank. Otherwise this will be the best most informative thread on what causes BBA but not how to never get BBA. Like many others in the last 15 years. Meaning that it would be wise to get away from the "modern" "methods" of doing it.

If my post makes you feel a little annoyed ignore it. But I seldom write my posts hollow like most people do. Here it is - a minute hint to a path you must not overlook: A good place to start looking for information - flowgrow.de. You find what is of relevance to this BBA thread. No, all the information is not there black on white but that's the best starting point on the internet full of misleading information. And if you read Russian I'd suggest another link, but hey, why would one read something in yet another language:D

Good luck.

--Nikolay

Actualy never realy gave it a thought.. :) but since i'm rebuilding my little pond again as i do every year and regularly see this thread beeing revived.. I never ever have seen any BBA in the pond, tho it gets full sunshine.
It sometimes has green algae and diatoms, but never BBA..I know i have it spores in my tanks and swap plants from tank to pond, it just doesn't grow in there.

I apologize for not reading through the entire 23 pages (so far). Maybe, if there are such posts in this thread, someone will point me to the page that talks about how to get rid of BBA, not what causes it.

The topic of getting rid of BBA (not what causes it) has been of interest to me for some years. I have found a solution that works every time. BBA disintegrates in a very short time - from 3 hours to 20-30 days. Guaranteed. BBA is by far not the worst algae a tank can get, not even close, but for the modern enthusiasts the planted tank hobby is a fog of commercial and personal biases so BBA is considered pretty much a plague :D

Anyway - how do you get rid of BBA? Or rather - How do you never get BBA? There are no chemicals or anything to add. It is not a question of low or high CO2 and no, not a question of fertilizers. Yes, it is a question of microbiology. Which species of microorganisms is not important because what is more important is the answer to the question "How do I setup the tank so the proper microorganisms establish themselves?". I like to call that "properly established planted tank". Knowing exactly what kinds of microorganisms you need to have a BBA-free tank you will still have to answer the same question. And honestly, it is easier to answer that question than to figure out which microorganisms are crucial. Note that I avoid the word "bacteria" because that is not the end of the story.

So, yes I do have a way to setup a "properly established planted tank". It's extremely simple and logical. I'm not the only one that can do that. No, I won't share it on a plate. In America we like to stand above the crowd, be #1, champions, leaders, whatever to make ourselves feel important so here I am if you want to take it that way :D. And yes, I do have pictures showing BBA disintegrating in a matter of hours or weeks but this post comes across as cocky to the average reader as it is so enough of it. If anything - it'd be wise to start discussing ways to properly setup and establish a planted tank. Otherwise this will be the best most informative thread on what causes BBA but not how to never get BBA. Like many others in the last 15 years. Meaning that it would be wise to get away from the "modern" "methods" of doing it.

If my post makes you feel a little annoyed ignore it. But I seldom write my posts hollow like most people do. Here it is - a minute hint to a path you must not overlook: A good place to start looking for information - flowgrow.de. You find what is of relevance to this BBA thread. No, all the information is not there black on white but that's the best starting point on the internet full of misleading information. And if you read Russian I'd suggest another link, but hey, why would one read something in yet another language:D

Good luck.

--Nikolay

I am sorry, but where is your solution to get rid of BBA?

Has anyone figured out a way of growing BBA reliably. Perhaps the answer may lay there.

I decided some year's back to consult with an expert.
I asked a wise, old algae/moss backed snapping turtle,"what exactly causes the moss and algae to grow upon your shell old timer"?
He begged that I place my ear a bit closer ,that he might whisper this secret to me but I balked out of fear that my fishing hat would no longer set right upon my head with but one ear.
I had hoped upon finding the answer, but I guess I shall remain ignorant as to the true cause(s).
Judging from post's/thread's here, and on other forum's,, I feel I am in some fine company.

I decided some year's back to consult with an expert.
I asked a wise, old algae/moss backed snapping turtle,"what exactly causes the moss and algae to grow upon your shell old timer"?
He begged that I place my ear a bit closer ,that he might whisper this secret to me but I balked out of fear that my fishing hat would no longer set right upon my head with but one ear.
I had hoped upon finding the answer, but I guess I shall remain ignorant as to the true cause(s).
Judging from post's/thread's here, and on other forum's,, I feel I am in some fine company.
LMAO! You playing into hands of troll?

Last edited:
Hi all,
Has anyone figured out a way of growing BBA reliably.
The Piranha tank in the Princess of Wales Pavilion at RGB Kew is pretty impressive. (<"Piranha III alga hunter"l> from earlier in the thread).
p1223542-jpg.7485.jpg

The best I've seen is in our local pet shop, (where they must kill more fish than they sell), there it covers the substrate like Gorilla fake fur.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,The Piranha tank in the Princess of Wales Pavilion at RGB Kew is pretty impressive. (<"Piranha III alga hunter"l> from earlier in the thread).
p1223542-jpg.7485.jpg

The best I've seen is in our local pet shop, (where they must kill more fish than they sell), there it covers the substrate like Gorilla fake fur.

cheers Darrel
That is indeed bordering on looking really nice!!!

Fablau, look here: http://www.flowgrow.de/kein-thema-wenig-regeln/die-pflege-der-mikroflora-oder-t17365.html (use Google Translate; it's in German). As I know you, you can find it very interesting reading. In the linked thread there are other links in the first post. For most people here it will be waste of time.

PS: niko123 is the "niko" from APC.com, so he deserves more respect.

I don't speak German so I asked google translate....hilarious translation!!

Why microflora care or what the goal is:
A 100% he is not, it may not be, but now I put my pelvis and in my environment quite safe and with good quality. Now I'll provoke and wait for the hopefully upcoming debate whether the "quality" of a basin.

Hi all,
use Google Translate; it's in German
I don't speak German so I asked google translate....hilarious translation
Yes, it is a question of microbiology. Which species of microorganisms is not important because what is more important is the answer to the question "How do I setup the tank so the proper microorganisms establish themselves?". I like to call that "properly established planted tank".
It doesn't translate very well, but I think his thinking is a long the same lines as Dr Stephan Tanner's in <"Aquarium Biofiltration">.

I'm a "properly established planted tank" fan as well, and I'm sure a lot of the reasons why long-established planted tanks don't tend to have algal "outbreaks" is microbiological stability.

cheers Darrel

I probably can't achieve bacterial balance due to my ph being 5.5 but as long as my fish are happy I find I don't stress too much about it. It did get a lot worse with our prolonged moving saga where water changes were sparse but hey ho

I'm a "properly established planted tank" fan as well, and I'm sure a lot of the reasons why long-established planted tanks don't tend to have algal "outbreaks" is microbiological stability.

I like this nutshell very much and how it explains certain aspects of how plants get around.. This is not typicaly aimed towards aquatics, but i'm sure they ain't so different, after all 95% aint tru aquatic what we grow.
http://www2.estrellamountain.edu/faculty/farabee/Biobk/BioBookPLANTHORM.html

Scroll down to the part
Mycorrhizae, bacteria, and minerals
Many plants have a symbiotic relationship with bacteria growing in their roots

There probably is much more to it then he explaines here.. Yet not found any data online going much deeper into the subject than this.. But it's very intresting. :)

Darrel
I am not against keeping an aquariun clean but his claims seem to lack any real correlation.

"Algae blooms or infusoria explosions are usually the result of excess phosphates in an aquatic system."

Back