• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

what DSLR in 2017 for aquarium photography and filming

and the 24-85 mm on 1)m 24 mm and 2) 85mm
DSC_7179_copy.jpg
DSC_7181_copy.jpg

I think I made my choice:
A canon 700d (affordable and enough on second hand market) with the pancake EF-S 24mm f 2.8 lens (new)

For macro I still need to decide. Suggestions welcome current list:
EF100mm f/2.8 Macro USM or canon ef-s 60mm f2.8. Which one do you guys recommend? I wanna shoot some pics/videos of shrimp and schooling fish.

100mm Macro for sure, I find I can really only get full frame, detailed close up shots shots with my EF100mm f/2.8 Macro USM if the fish / shrimp are closer to the glass. I am tempted to even try some extension rings to try get even closer.

I can shoot it handheld but it needs a lot of light so i can keep the shuttertime down to 1/250 or faster. For instance shooting insects in the sun. For the tank i use a tripod unless i can "lean" on the glass. But faster moving fish is tough, shrimp should be fine.
Chris Lukhaup shoots a lot of shrimp/ small fish. Maybe you can contact him to see what he uses.

Back