• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape What do you think?

NathanG

Really need to start a journal but wanted your quick thoughts and advice in where to plant these stones. One is quite large as I wanted to add a sense of height. It's difficult working with the big rock but it seems supported even now with one 9l bag and propped up in the supporting stone.

I have 2 more bags to use and still need to add the substrate supports. Ideas?

https://goo.gl/photos/HDRhagZiQ3NFDr8Q9

Hope you don't mind...
25351330379_d3e9434b04_o.jpg

I believe that you want to achieve a central layout, some thins that i would change:
- 6 stones? 5 or 7 would be better (maybe F out)
- stone A more up, yes i know it's not easy! Use smaller hidden stones to stupor main stone.
- stone B, more pointed up, (against the force of stone A)
- stone C, careful with the 2 red lines, too near the horizontal line, try to add more drama! more pushed to the glass, play with space (and result in photo)
- stone D, push more down to the glass
- stone E, to vertical, try to rotate better angle
- stone F, Maybe out! careful with the horizontal line

small stones are very useful to support the bigger ones also creating barrier for soil and building a taller layout.
very difficult to have good virtual help, but can be also very positive to have others opinion's
Nice tank and stones!
Keep posting evolution and develop your work till you're happy with it!
cheers
:thumbup:

Had a go today but really can't keep that big rock up without it either putting pressure on the glass below or making me too nervous. I've used rock C to prop it up. Seems stable now. Took F out so now need to smash it up to make use as it's quite big. Updated the album with some pics as I wanted a final opinion especially with rock F. Cheers

Hope you don't mind...
View attachment 94482

I believe that you want to achieve a central layout, some thins that i would change:
- 6 stones? 5 or 7 would be better (maybe F out)
- stone A more up, yes i know it's not easy! Use smaller hidden stones to stupor main stone.
- stone B, more pointed up, (against the force of stone A)
- stone C, careful with the 2 red lines, too near the horizontal line, try to add more drama! more pushed to the glass, play with space (and result in photo)
- stone D, push more down to the glass
- stone E, to vertical, try to rotate better angle
- stone F, Maybe out! careful with the horizontal line

small stones are very useful to support the bigger ones also creating barrier for soil and building a taller layout.
very difficult to have good virtual help, but can be also very positive to have others opinion's
Nice tank and stones!
Keep posting evolution and develop your work till you're happy with it!
cheers
:thumbup:

That's a really in depth reply, I definitely learned something! Cheers

Back