• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What do you think of this chip?

ChrisP

Hi all, I've had this little cube tank for a number of years now and unfortunately it got chipped during a house move. It doesn't leak but I've left it empty since I noticed it. I'm tempted to set this tank up again as a little low light / low tech experiment.

Here's a few pictures, what do you think of the chip? Time to bin the tank?

chip1.jpg

As long as it's just a surface chip and you don't see any cracks then you should be fine. If it's a small tank then there won't be a huge amount of pressure on it.

As long as it's just a surface chip and you don't see any cracks then you should be fine. If it's a small tank then there won't be a huge amount of pressure on it.

Its a bit more than a surface chip. You can touch the other pane of glass that it is butted up to. It is small tank though. I think maybe only 20 or 30L

little cube tank

These are extremely strong the minimum glass thickness for aqauriums up to 30cm height is 4mm and this is actualy over calculated.. So there is very little pressure and very little strain on the glass involved. I've seen worse and i still have one 25 litre tank in use with a much worse looking chip in the bottom corner. I even mistreaded that little tank with carying it around filled and it still doesn't leak. For you sake of mind make sure it stands on a sturdy surface, perfectly flat on a padding and it will never burst in a split second. If it doesn't leak now it probably never will.. :)

With very big tanks having a lot of surface and a lot of bend and strain by water pressure culculated to an absolute minimum for glass thicknes, than it's a different story.. Than a chip and a hair crack can be fatal they burst..

Even if the chip is deep, like the others have said you should be fine. In truth I have two really beat up tanks with glass that is cracked right the way down a side panel. One came like that during shipping and the other just broke but its a difficult size. I just silicon on a strip of plastic over the top and its been fine for several years since and the volume is 70 l or so. So I think you will be just fine.

Doesn't look to bad. I've got a tank with a few similar ones and it's fine and held water for years.

Back