• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What do you think about this rock

zanguli-ya-zamba

Seedling
Hi guys just wanted to have a feedback about this type of rock.
Do you think the texture of this stone will be nice
uhuvasap.jpg

I can have exactly the same stone with the same texture, but with a greenish color like oxidized copper.

Thanks

Hi mate I don't know at all what stone it is!
I am working in road transportation and these are stones that our drivers bring back from their trip. They use it to make "brake blocs" in case there is a brake problems. In one of my current set up I use white stones with grey veins.

So you like the texture ?

Wow, that's a fast reply to my question!
Hi green view sorry to disappoint you buy the stone you see in the tank is an other type of stone. I am out of town until Friday. What I will do for you is take the stone of the first pic and put it in my tank and take a pic like that we can see how it is when submerge ! ;)

Cheers

They use it to make "brake blocs" in case there is a brake problems.

Almost certainly limestone then. Will be fine in a hard water tank like a malawi set up but will slowly dissolve in anything softer, and will mess with water chemistry.

It's doable, but that's a large rock for surface area. Not as bad as a substrate for messing with chemistry but not good in a soft water tank overall.

Almost certainly limestone then. Will be fine in a hard water tank like a malawi set up but will slowly dissolve in anything softer, and will mess with water chemistry.

It's doable, but that's a large rock for surface area. Not as bad as a substrate for messing with chemistry but not good in a soft water tank overall.
Hi DrRob I don't think it's a limestone I will do the scratch and vinegar test when I'll be back.
What make you think it's limestone mate ? I start worrying now lol

Regards

The use as brake pads. It's an old school use of limestone. That and it looked like limestone when I first looked at it.

Personally I'm a fan of limescale cleaner if you really want to be sure what something is. Less doubt about the fizz.

The use as brake pads. It's an old school use of limestone. That and it looked like limestone when I first looked at it.

Personally I'm a fan of limescale cleaner if you really want to be sure what something is. Less doubt about the fizz.

They would use as brake pads like they would use any stone or big pieces of wood that they place under a tire to be sure the truck won't escape them when they are parked lol.

You are starting to get me worried because I have soft water and don't want my water parameter to be mess up.

I have read in many place that if you scratch a limestone you will have a white "powder" coming out is that true ?

What also let me think it wasn't a limestone is that is really strong. I had to use a 10 KG hammer and beat again and again to break it lol

Thanks for the infos you are giving me.

Hi all,
What also let me think it wasn't a limestone is that is really strong.
If it is a really hard rock you can use it even if it is a limestone, as very hard rocks must be very sparingly soluble, or they wouldn't be very hard. If you have exposed limestones in wet tropical climates you tend to get an associated "cockpit country" geology <Trelawny Geology>, with rock pinnacles, solution hollows and caves etc.

My suspicion would be that it is Granite or Rhyolite etc. <Rhyolite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia>.

cheers Darrel

Back