• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What do you consider required reading?

Ajm200

I’ve had a lot of good advice from this forum over since I started keeping planted tanks.

I’m looking to create a low tech, low light, relatively low maintenance tank. I have the latest edition of Diana Walstad’s book and (possibly still have the original hardcopy somewhere too.) I’m also reading ‘An alternative aquarium: A robust habitat‘. I know both books are a bit dated. What other books do you consider required reading for someone without a scientific background who is looking to set up a simple planted tank? I want to promote natural fish behaviours in a planted environment rather than an amazingly artistic scape. I know there are some incredible books out there with beautiful and inspirational photos of high level scapes but my options will be limited by my choice to have low light, no CO2 and a dirted tank and I’m OK with that as I’ve tried the high maintenance options and they weren’t for me. I’ve tried big and small tanks, high and low light, silly amounts of co2 and none at all.

I’ve been experimenting a bit with nano setups and think I’m going to go for a 300-350l open topped tank with a dimmable fluval plant light (as I already have one). The light will raised above the tank on acrylic risers to minimise dark spots as I found it didn’t reach all areas of my previous tank.

I’ll have a multi level budget friendly substrate. Larger gravel at the base of the tank for height topped with compost (possibly in mesh bags), fine gravel and then sand. I’ve had amazing plant growth and red plants under low light without C02 in my experimental tanks.

Filtration hasn’t been decided yet as my current redundant filters options (FX4 and FX6) aren’t small fish and shrimp friendly. I know adding Eheim prefilters on the intake can help but I’m not sure. I don’t think I’ll need a heavy duty filter with the right setup. My 500l tank was overfiltered and under stocked. It had two filters and I cleaned one every 6 months.

I’m thinking of functional planting in a jungle/nature aquarium style rather than a fancy scape. I want plants to enhance the health and behaviour of the fish.
I’m thinking of fast growing stem and floating plants to absorb nutrients and epyphytes on wood in shaded areas to maximise plant mass with 70-80% of the substrate planted. Maybe some houseplants and hardier aquatic plants above the water line too if my current experiments work for me.

The remaining substrate will have sand, leaf litter, pods and botanicals for corys and shrimp. The tank may also be ‘seeded’ with freshwater live foods before fish are added and supplemented regularly; another limiting factor for mechanical filtration.

The tank will be home to ember tetras, ottos and pygmy corys if I can work out a solution for housing my aging diamond tetras and female Congo tetras. I’d like lots of small fish for movement with minimal bio load.

Thanks

To be completely honest here. Read the journals! Dig through them, as many as you can and when one catches your eye; emulate what they are doing and follow what they do. If they make a change, make the same change in your tank. Over time, you will be able to observe why they might be making a change. The journals are your best source of up to date information as well as emerging concepts.

Hi there,
Don't write it & think it, do it!
The plan you have outlined above sounds good and, given time, should work. If you read dozens of pieces of literature your core idea may change & that seems to be planned out in your mind. Also, more articles means a higher chance of finding conflicting advice.
It's a big project so start a journal with photos, everyone likes those & you'll get far more suggestions on here than ploughing through dozens of articles.
Some of the 'older' ideas still work well today in conjunction with modern equipment!

Hi all,
I have the latest edition of Diana Walstad’s book and (possibly still have the original hardcopy somewhere too.) I’m also reading ‘An alternative aquarium: A robust habitat‘. I know both books are a bit dated. What other books do you consider required reading for someone without a scientific background who is looking to set up a simple planted tank?
I think the issue is that no-one is going to be in a financial position to write an updated book. The rise of YouTube etc has really killed off the market for this kind of book.

cheers Darrel

AJM200, sounds to me like you are ready for 'FATHER FISH'. Look him up on youtube and you will not be the same again. Keep a copy of Walstad handy and study it, its our bible (fish and plants and microfauna/flora). Father fish has kept aquaria 70 years. There's almost nothing he doesn't know. Make the most of him while he is still with us. Give it a go.

I think a lot of books are very good despite a little behind with equipment and gear. Think just a few years back LED not even used. Interpret sponsered quite a lot with respected authors . Second hand book fairs can uncover some gems or eBay and amazon maybe look for respected authors like Jeremy Gaye ,Gina Sandford ,Mary Bailey etc then you got George Farmers Aquascaping book or James Findley

AJM200, sounds to me like you are ready for 'FATHER FISH'. Look him up on youtube and you will not be the same again. Keep a copy of Walstad handy and study it, its our bible (fish and plants and microfauna/flora). Father fish has kept aquaria 70 years. There's almost nothing he doesn't know. Make the most of him while he is still with us. Give it a go.

I’ve found him already and a few others. Been stuck at hime while the kids had COVID. Been watching a lot of YouTube. Think I found him from a Bentley Pascoe video. Sunscribed to quite a few channels lately

I consume as much content about this hobby as I can. I attempt to reproduce what others have done but in the end, we are all cooking a different soup. I agree with what a few others have said here but sometimes it's something you have to experience yourself.

A recent example for me was getting pretty decent plant growth from my Fluval plant 3.0. I thought this was great but it cast a weird yellow tone to the tank and some plants just didnt grow well. I must have watched Bentley's videos on it a dozen times. Many people will recommend t5/chihiros etc because they are good lights. I also thought my light was pretty good. The combination of going to a stronger light and one that had RGB LED vs varying white spectrums has made a world of difference for me both in how my plants grow and how the colors are saturated.

Both lights were capable of growing algae at full strength so I thought they were "strong enough". It wasn't until I started digging and comparing to what I had that I realized what I wanted in my tank.

Back