• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What do I do with big Catappa leaves?

RolyMo

Tricky one working out which discussion to post to. In the M&S I chose this because I guess the leaves affect the water chemistry.

I bought some rather large Catappa leaves that are currently swirling around the tank waiting to be water logged
adyse5a5.jpg
and sink to the bottom. My question is can i tear them up into smaller pieces without ruining the water column?

@sa80mark. Thanks for the tip.
The leaves seem the right size for the tank £10 for 10 leaves. 1 x leaf for 100l.
I will cut them down once they sink.
Hoping the tank will benefit. Already seen Ottos recreating the scene from the film Top Gun as they Otto inverts and holding on upside down to the floating leaf zooming around the tank. Great amusement.
R

If I'm bothered about them sinking, I soak mine in hot water for 10 minutes, then pour the leaves and water into the tank. In my less groomed tanks, I just throw them on top :)

Why not throw them on the watersurface? They sink when soaked.

If you've spent months developing a 'scape, the last thing you want is for something to look "thrown in". If they're pre-soaked, you can determine exactly where they are going to go, without having to wait for them to sink.

Back