• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What deficiency is this ?

Update : Maintenance today 50 % water change, added the 2 spraybars that already came with the filter, and ordered 2 additional ones for the right side, already notice flow in foreground plants, hopefully the filter is strong enough to do the right side aswell, also ordered seachem Matrix filter bio media ,Seachem Purigen

Here you can see the spraybars, lights are still on 60%

20211204_192145.jpg

Hi
do not jam pack the filter with media or you will reduce flow further.In planted tanks filter media is pretty much irrelevant as plants will do most of the biological filtration. I keep my filters mainly full with coarse sponge (as it has less impact on flow) and a little siporax.I do like having Purigen in tho:))
Regards Konstantin

Hi
do not jam pack the filter with media or you will reduce flow further.In planted tanks filter media is pretty much irrelevant as plants will do most of the biological filtration. I keep my filters mainly full with coarse sponge (as it has less impact on flow) and a little siporax.I do like having Purigen in tho:))
Regards Konstantin

This is one of the hardest things to 'unlearn'. before I discovered UKAPS, my filters were packed with Matrix and 3DM biomedia. After I learnt that 'flow is king', I've since removed most of my 'fancy' biomedia.

However, because I like clear water, I am also using fine and medium sponges after the coarse sponges. Because of the fine sponges, it means I have to clean my filter more frequently, something like every 4-5 weeks. But due to WFH, I'm at home and looking at my tank more often, so I don't mind.

Hi all,
This is one of the hardest things to 'unlearn'. before I discovered UKAPS, my filters were packed with Matrix and 3DM biomedia. After I learnt that 'flow is king', I've since removed most of my 'fancy' biomedia.
It was only tangentially "flow rate" that made me think a lot more carefully about the media and biofilm that I had in the filter, <"it was really oxygen">. I knew that <"wet and dry trickle">, and moving bed, filters had a huge capacity to deal with bioload, but the actual volume of <"wet media was often relatively small">.

With canister filters they often had a much larger volume of bio media, but from reading posts on other forums, apparently a fraction of the nitrification capacity. What was the difference? Why were peoples canister filters not working optimally?

It was at this point that I found that people both packed their filters with <"premium" biomedia"> and <"used them as a syphon"> to remove organic waste from their aquarium. They also looked on <"thick biofilms"> as an advantage, because they <"encouraged denitrification">. It was a bit of an eye-opener and when I told people about <"oxygen and plants">, it wasn't <"universally well received">.

cheers Darrel

Update : got a spraybar now across the full back of the aquarium, and the flow is horrible its way to less powerfull to bring debris to the intake.
here is the video, all the tips are welcome Filter : jbl cristal profi e1502

Update : started giving powders 2 days ago, instead of mixing them, i also ordered magnesium but im wondering how much to give from the magnesium sulphate that doesnt get included in the schema.
current schema is displayed underneath, note on that website they do very precise calculations, but i am doing this approximately so sometimes its a bit more.
i dose these between alternate days, i think i have to add magnesium to the macro mix ? im wondering how much to add.

Macro
3.18 gram (KNO3)
0.25 (KH2PO4)
1.45 gram kaliumsulfaat (K2SO4)

Micro
1.36 gram trace elements (Tenso Cocktail)

Update : Today added 1 tsp of magnesium sulphate do you guys think its enough ? to start with.
i wanna rule out all deficiency's

Your 1 tsp of MgSo4 will add about 2ppm of Mg. Is this enough? I don't know, did you ever find out how much magnesium is in your tap water?

Your 1 tsp of MgSo4 will add about 2ppm of Mg. Is this enough? I don't know, did you ever find out how much magnesium is in your tap water?
no i dont know, i can only see online it says softer hardness of the water, then where i was staying before, but some people in this thread have told me i can try adding this to the water so thats what im currently doing now.
btw the tsp was 2.75 gram

Here is a picture, there were also reports but my place is not in the list unfortunately.
1639666802098.png

Yes definitely try it, certainly won't do any harm.
btw the tsp was 2.75 gram
OK so more like half a tsp (I've never actually weighed a tsp of mgso4)

2.75 grams of mgso4 will add 1.1 ppm of magnesium, I'd probably double this and see if there's any improvement.

Hi
if you have Mg deficiencies and add the MgSO4 you shold be able to observe pretty quick response(more green colour)from your plants(and algae) as Mg is mobile nutrient.
If Mg was also a limiting nutrient you shold also see better growth shortly after.
Regards Konstantin

Yes definitely try it, certainly won't do any harm.

OK so more like half a tsp (I've never actually weighed a tsp of mgso4)

2.75 grams of mgso4 will add 1.1 ppm of magnesium, I'd probably double this and see if there's any improvement.
i added another 2tsp do i have to give this every day ?
i also emailed the company for a water report for my area.

i added another 2tsp do i have to give this every day ?
i also emailed the company for a water report for my area.
2 tsp of MgSO4 drysalt is ~11.2 gram. (I weighted it). Weekly for a 240L tank (assuming 50% WC/wk) should suffice as pointed out by John. I'm aiming at 7ppm of Mg myself.... about 4:1 Ca:Mg or 28ppm of Ca and 7 ppm of Mg.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
2 tsp of MgSO4 drysalt is ~11.2 gram. (I weighted it). Weekly for a 240L tank (assuming 50% WC/wk) should suffice as pointed out by John. I'm aiming at 7ppm of Mg myself.... about 4:1 Ca:Mg or 28ppm of Ca and 7 ppm of Mg.

Unless you want to leave you fertilization to pure chance and luck, simply assume you're not getting anything from the fish waste and decaying food and just dose fertilizer accordingly to you preferred target levels - or EI. You might possibly get enough Nitrate and Phosphate if your tank is stocked appropriately vs. the plant mass for some period of time, but its not sustainable...and you are certainly not getting enough Iron or Potassium or enough (or any) of the other micro trace minerals.

Cheers,
Michael

Hey Michael, you must have some big teaspoons ? i only measure 2.75 gram per spoon and thats with a digital scale, so you think i have to add more ?

Hey Michael, you must have some big teaspoons ? i only measure 2.75 gram per spoon and thats with a digital scale, so you think i have to add more ?
Hi @aquagenetics, I should have arrested the idea of using a teaspoon for measurement from the get go, as I am obviously using a standard US teaspoon measure which comes out at 4.92 ml - I have no idea what it is in the UK/EU. And one US teaspoon of MgSO4 indeed comes out at ~5.6g. Whichever way you measure it out you should add about 11-12 grams per week as mentioned above. I measure everything out on a digital milligram scale - I'm not too particular with my measurements as long as its within a fair margin (preferably a bit over than what I have calculated for the various fertilizer compounds I am dosing).

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Back