• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What are you using to extend life of rubber filter seals

MrClockOff

Hi all,

Just wondering what are you using for extending the life of rubber seals on the filters.
I’ve got Baufix Silicone Oil which is designed for such purpose. But after reading the label on the tin I’m horrified with the toxic signs.

I’m looking for the fish and shrimp safe solution to treat the seals on my Oase BioMaster 850 and Vidao CO2 external reactor.

What are you using?

Many thanks

Attachments

• 84F6D981-5807-4D74-9E54-698536DC63E5.jpeg
    84F6D981-5807-4D74-9E54-698536DC63E5.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 221
  • 06B04ED3-1DD6-4105-A018-C5CBE651A769.jpeg
    06B04ED3-1DD6-4105-A018-C5CBE651A769.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 141
  • 84ABC7CA-A086-4821-9FF3-D5E2955AE373.jpeg
    84ABC7CA-A086-4821-9FF3-D5E2955AE373.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 125
Last edited:

This thread has quite a few good suggestions. :thumbup:

All tho personally I think with all the synthetic materials out there that life can't really be extended regarding the evaporation of weakeners. This process can't be stopped and depends highly on the quality of materials used. Wear and tear could be minimalized but it's always a good idea to get some spare seals as long as it;s available.

I use Silverhook silicone grease. Can't say if it prolongs the life of seals but helps create a good seal and reduces wear on o-rings that slide over a surface like the filter head/housing seal on my eheim.
Like zozo says, I normally buy a spare or two (they're normally covered in silicone grease but if not I add some grease to the packet) and then store them somewhere out of the light. Also worth getting one of those seal kits they have in Lidl/Aldi sometimes. Some of these work for smaller seals.

I remember back in the day everything made from rubber if stored long term is/was covered in some soapstone chalk (Baby)powder. This also seems to lubricate and protect against mechanical damage. It also seems to be a rubber main ingredient as a thickener. You still can find it on bicycle inner tubes if you take them new from the box. Or in the bag from other rubber products. What nowadays really is rubber and what's not is hard to say.

I'm not sure and doubt if it will protect against ageing and is more meant to protect as a lubricant.

It's Magnesium Silicate / Mg3Si4O10(OH)2 or H2Mg3(SiO3)4

I guess it's a pretty common old school household product that about everybody has in the Medicine cabinet for all kinds of purposes, I know I do. And I guess nothing bad about it, to rub an O-ring in some baby powder before you use it c.q. put it back. :)

How often are you supposed to be doing this? I had an Eheim external filter for 11 years and never touched the silicone once. Never gave me any problems though. Do different brands give you different experiences?

I guess it's a better safe than the sorry practice that might as well have a placebo effect in many cases. It also depends on the construction of the product and where the seal is situated and how much it is moved around when dismantling what it is meant to seal.

Think for example if it's an o-ring that's meant to seal a moving piston then a lubricant will significantly prolong its life. For a seal that is rather static in place, and only moves a little once a month for e few seconds it will be less significant. :)

It's all about common sense and having some mechanical insights into how things function. If you don't know and then just do it can't hurt.

Long time ago I've been using Eheim Classic canister filter and I wish I knew all about lubricants back in the days as after few filter maintenances I was struggling to remove the filter head or prime it because the silicon seal was so stiff and dry it wouldn't move. In the end I did brake the opening/priming handle twice! I'm sure it was so close to crack the filter bucket too.. Don't wanna go that path again especially when I've spent on the filter £300

Long time ago I've been using Eheim Classic canister filter and I wish I knew all about lubricants back in the days as after few filter maintenances I was struggling to remove the filter head or prime it because the silicon seal was so stiff and dry it wouldn't move. In the end I did brake the opening/priming handle twice! I'm sure it was so close to crack the filter bucket too.. Don't wanna go that path again especially when I've spent on the filter £300
I was in a similar situation. Thankfully I didn't manage to break the handle but it was making some worrying noises. The filter in question is an eheim ecco that I've had for 11 years. I got it secondhand so probably should have lubricated the seals ages ago. Of those 11 years I've probably only used it for 2 years. I think how things are stored makes a massive difference and can shorten the life of seals if done incorrectly. I definitely didn't do as much as I could/should but I did take the filter head seal off, coat it in silicone lubricant and put it in a plastic bag so air/moisture couldn't get at it. I wish I would have done the same with the impeller bushings and impeller, as the bushings have shrunk and the impeller has rusted. £35 in total to replace, which is more than I paid for the filter originally.

You can get silicone grease from amazon or builders merchants (screwfix, toolstation etc). Much cheaper than aquatic stores.
The aerosol sprays contain solvents and propellents which is why they are flammable and toxic.
Magnesium silicate or talcum powder is used in the rubber industry as an anti-tack finish to stop articles from sticking together in storage.
Cheers

Have used this in the past, Eheim Silicon spray. No doubt expensive for what it is but def fish safe.
6649.jpg

Had a canister filter leak once (2075) due to seals and suddenly got me paying attention!
Next time I think I will use food-grade silicon grease

Back