• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What are these!?

Is this algae or some type of organism? The green little stems with hair like tops on the wood.
06686D39-D784-403D-8FB0-C305FB71FF0A.jpeg

Ha! Indeed they are! I don’t like the recommendation for getting rid of them though. Anything else I can do?

Dose with Panacur (fenbendazole), which you can buy as dog wormer or paste for worming rabbits. It's toxic to snails so any you want to keep will need to spend time in another tank until you complete treatment and remove the medicine with activated charcoal. Hydra can be predatory towards shrimp and fish fry so I would want to get rid of them.

Well that sucks. I have a TON of nerites in my tank and it would be a real pan to have to do that. I’ll try manual removal for now of what I can see.

Well that sucks. I have a TON of nerites in my tank and it would be a real pan to have to do that. I’ll try manual removal for now of what I can see.
If you leave a tiny bit of one behind, it can regrow. If you break one up, any parts left behind can each regrow into a new Hydra. Hence the name, - after the Lernaean Hydra.
And they don't die of old age.
So they are fascinating (you could keep some in a jar and feed them daphnia) but, as @lilirose says, they will eat fry and shrimplets. If you're not intending to breed your fish or shrimps in that tank you could leave them.
Some Gouramis will eat them if they are hungry enough, so if you have any Gouramis you could move them to the Hydra tank for a few days and not feed them.

I had quite a few appear in my tank a while back. Misted them with Excel and they were gone the next morning.

I assumed the Excel killed them and the shrimp ate them once dead.

I had quite a few appear in my tank a while back. Misted them with Excel and they were gone the next morning.

I assumed the Excel killed them and the shrimp ate them once dead.
I’ve been reading you could use excel or H2O2, I may try that first. I don’t like medicating if I don’t have to. Not worried about fry just yet.

Insert gourami for a few days..... maybe you need to hire James Bond for a few days ;)

Insert gourami for a few days..... maybe you need to hire James Bond for a few days ;)
Haha yeah I considered that, but I don’t like getting animals to solve a problem (snails are the exception!). The gourami would probably prefer my hydrocotyle over the hydra anyway!

The gourami would probably prefer my hydrocotyle over the hydra anyway!
Dwarfs might be ok but point taken.

Maybe a black Molly..... ;)

Hydra can kinds of disappear on their own though. Boom bust sort of thing.

Back