• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What are these worms in my aquarium?

Thanks for your reply. Yes, they are small, I have seen on YouTube videos of those worms but bigger. My betta hasn't been well for a while and not sure why. Thought I'd better make sure it wasn't them.

Planaria is extremely common, and most are harmless. They do however point towards maintenance being lax. They love left over fish food and detritus. A few small ones is not a problem, but you do seem to have a lot. I'd do some cleaning in the tank as first measure (remove algae, some substrate siphoning, waterchange). There is various cures eg. panacur to eradicate them, but I have no experience with those.
Btw, dead give away for planaria is to look for their eyespots at the front.

Thanks for the tips! After having a good look and then researching. They seem to be Rhabdocoela as they have a rounded head rather than a triangular shaped head. However, I also spotted this..

Hope it can be identified as it took some doing using the small strong lens of a reading magnifying glass and my phone.

I think I've zeroed in on the issue. They seem to identify as fish lice. There is another one that is more rounded than long as well. By the look of the article, it could be Argulus foliaceus. I'll do some more research and then if it checks out I'll go ahead and get treatment. I cannot really see anything on my betta though after a thorough search. I did see one of the worms on it but it could have got on only cause my betta was near the glass. I don't think these worms are parasitic although I do want to eradicate them. If they are Rhabdocoela then getting rid of them may prove harder than planaria as Panacur doesn't affect them apparently.

Hi all,
They seem to identify as fish lice. There is another one that is more rounded than long as well. By the look of the article, it could be Argulus foliaceus.
Hope it can be identified
No, you are fine, it is definitely an <"Ostracod (Seed shrimp)"> and entirely harmless.

Fish parasites are nearly always on fish, so if you see worms or crustaceans in your tank they are very unlikely to be parasites. Predators are free living, so you can get <"Hydra">, <"Damselfly larvae"> etc in the tank and away from the livestock.
They seem to be Rhabdocoela as they have a rounded head rather than a triangular shaped head
Rhabdocoela have <"quite pointy heads">, so I think these are Tricladida ("Planaria") and a <"Dugesia sp. or close">.

cheers Darrel

Back