• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What am I doing wrong?

You can buy a more precise needle valve separately and just have the existing one on the reg fully open. I have a reg set that's a bit feast and famine so I bought a separate inline one, have the existing one fully open and first in the line then use the second one for adjusting. The one's I linked there are just an example from one of our sponsors, I have no experience of using them but I think I have one of the Commozi one's knocking about which I haven't used in a long time but from what I can remember it was a little bit better than the one I had. Maybe try asking for recommendations in the co2 section of the forum, I think a few people buy these from gas fitting suppliers a bit cheaper so maybe somebody there could tell you their experiences.

Thanks dude. I was thinking of using a straight gas one first yeah then the second. Other way I thought was to use a jubilee clip on extinguisher handle and not full open it thus letting out less pressure. Might work?

Update chaps!

I will look into buying a more precise needle as the co2 is really not being consistent with the small single one. I have upped it to almost 3bps and now finally I have some green DCs going on! The plants already look better and I’m changing water weekly and dosing daily right now. Things are picking up!

I was thinking of using sumps for my tanks to put all the gear in there and add the algae doctor, co2, doser for ferts, etc but do you think that’s a good plan or will it gain little as I need to change water weekly anyway?

Wasn’t sure as id also have the sump water level to worry about and the co2, but it just seems sooooo much more inefficient intank - why do people use the in tanks ones?

I bought the NEO as George recommended it but it seems so much wasted gas for such a tiny tank. I have a 350l in the pipeline and I feel like I’d be forever buying more gas for it :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also if leaves are browning still with me adding ferts is that me choosing lower light plants under too high light?

The carpet seems to be taking better but the others - a few crypts and red stem plants are still showing brown edges on new leaves.

I would put some pictures up if you can mate.

I would put some pictures up if you can mate.

Ok mate here you go

bb1df8ef1d3e14a67601495efdfabb20.jpg

235121735e30dd775a50b3b7b147c9d1.jpg

Very tips of the leaves on the edges mostly all the plants have it even new growth since upping ferts and co2 and dimming the light :/

To me it looks like a combination of lack of ferts issue and too much light for the low mass of plants. You can test the tank with some floaters. The stunted new growth can also be caused by lack of nitrates, when severe. I've had that in low tech tanks as I don't tend to dose nitrates. Basically all the leaves are smaller overall. Dose some more nitrates and the new growth should explode. Obviously, a similar issue can be caused my lack of micro nutrients but seeing that the old growth also has tiny leaves, it's more likely a nitrogen issue. I'd definitely, on a temporary basis throw in a big bunch of something floating to increase the plant mass...

To me it looks like a combination of lack of ferts issue and too much light for the low mass of plants. You can test the tank with some floaters. The stunted new growth can also be caused by lack of nitrates, when severe. I've had that in low tech tanks as I don't tend to dose nitrates. Basically all the leaves are smaller overall. Dose some more nitrates and the new growth should explode. Obviously, a similar issue can be caused my lack of micro nutrients but seeing that the old growth also has tiny leaves, it's more likely a nitrogen issue. I'd definitely, on a temporary basis throw in a big bunch of something floating to increase the plant mass...

Thanks mate do you thinking turning down lights is a shout then? ‘Coz it’s a nano tank I feel the water changes maybe quite an aggressive removal of ferts but I’m dosing 7.5ml a day alternating macro micro is that not enough? Seems too much for the amount of plants I have but the MC carpet is spreading well but also starting to burn on edges.

I’ve turned the light down to like notch 4 out of 7 - I can try 3? Is that still too high do you think? Other than that co2 is good and flow is high!

Thanks mate do you thinking turning down lights is a shout then? ‘Coz it’s a nano tank I feel the water changes maybe quite an aggressive removal of ferts but I’m dosing 7.5ml a day alternating macro micro is that not enough? Seems too much for the amount of plants I have but the MC carpet is spreading well but also starting to burn on edges.

I’ve turned the light down to like notch 3 out of 7 - I can try notch 2? Is that still too high do you think? So will the plants take more light as they root better too? Other than that co2 is good and flow is high!

Great stuff thanks mate I’ve got the light on step 2 of 7 now and will keep the rest as is and see what happens!

Hey guys

So cheeky update after around a week of lower still light things are still growing well - noticing some melting on the MC though amongst new growth - normal?

Co2 has been high pretty solidly before during and after lights and getting pale greens. Roughly 1bps inside the actual NEO diffuser unit rather than other bubble counters I’ve found inaccurate!

So still seeing tiny blacky brown edges to some leaves which could be a bit from the brighter light before but sure some are new! Can’t find anything at all online for this which is baffling me, as it would seem to be common imo?

Not really algae as I’m changing water 50% a week and dosing 7.5ml macro micro daily.

Could it be that being a 22l taking half out strips too many nutrients? Kinda unsure what else could be causing the black edges now.

I know before I did less water changes the MC still did this so I don’t think it’s that either.

0485a7143ef6c2181c31e0b2beeaf48c.jpg
3d77e9fa2e6c582a8a3f9d8c71da6e4a.jpg
3a27e5768b5b62f41bf6690bd18909bf.jpg
ea25da1cac3859d684848c1783e10f87.jpg
9fe9e4264c934dff9ab18e61007f5902.jpg
2b31567c4d0f44bd9aa40e9a4efc06fc.jpg

Back