• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What air pumps do you use, how long between service, how long between replacement?

DogTailRed2

I like Tetra APS150 air pumps because they are quiet. I'm running four on my Juwel 450.
Trouble is they don't last very long. I maybe get 18 months before they get noisy, and I have to replace the diaphragms. After another 12 they are pretty much worn out. Flow is much reduced and they
develop a persistent buzzing. Probably have to replace each pump around three years.

Is this the going rate for an air pump? Which ones do you use and how long between service or replacement.
My criteria is noise. They have to be so quiet to be barely audible in my living room.

Thanks.

I have Eheim 400 pumps, they are not silent, but pretty quiet (quiet enough for me), you could place on rubber mat to make them more quiet
Longevity hasn’t been an issue
What’s your back pressure like, small airstones will produce high back pressure, which “knocks out” diaphragms more quickly
Mine are more than 2 yrs old, running one large airstone per outlet, so far, so good

I have Eheim 400 pumps, they are not silent, but pretty quiet (quiet enough for me), you could place on rubber mat to make them more quiet
Longevity hasn’t been an issue
What’s your back pressure like, small airstones will produce high back pressure, which “knocks out” diaphragms more quickly
Mine are more than 2 yrs old, running one large airstone per outlet, so far, so good
I try and replace the airstones before blocking but occasionally I've let them run with quite some back pressure.
Maybe I should try larger air stones like those large round pond ones?

Do not recommend Terta Whisper Air pumps. I have 8 that are 1-2 years old. All but 2 have failed due to ripped diaphragms. Some used air stones, which kill air pumps, and some no air stones Tetra used to be a tough pump and a good brand., they are made cheaply now. Forget buying new diaphragms, they cost more than the air pump. That’s why I have 8, it’s a joke. I’ve moved on to a piston type pump.

Cheers

I try and replace the airstones before blocking but occasionally I've let them run with quite some back pressure.
Maybe I should try larger air stones like those large round pond ones?
I use either large flat ceramic discs, or large 30x50 cylinders with 8mm inlets, the discs produce fine bubbles, which are likely to be better for oxygenation, the cylinders produce more turbulence
I don’t use 4mm hose, except to connect to the pumps, i use 8mm, as i find that the back pressure in 4mm,especially on long runs reduces flow too much for my liking

Back