• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What about In Vitro plants?

Carbondioxide

Sponsor
UKAPS Team

What exactly are in vitro plants? Why are in vitro aquarium plants becoming a popular site in many local fish stores worldwide? They make a great alternative to traditionally cultivated plants typically sold in baskets filled with mineral wool. Why are sellers and aquascapers finding In-vitro plants more appealing?
Check out our latest blog and let us know your thoughts on the new (ish) method of buying/selling/growing aquatic plants.​

Untitled_Twitter_Post_-3_1080x.png

Quotation from the blog: "in vitro plants have a higher pest resistance compared to non vitro plants grown traditionally."
A few weeks ago we've discussed TC plants' vulnerability, be it pests or physico-chemical conditions. I can't help it but my experience tells me clearly that TC plants are frail and vulnerable, and my losses are often substantial. Is your experience better?

I can't help it but my experience tells me clearly that TC plants are frail and vulnerable, and my losses are often substantial.
My experience backs up this claim too.
They take longer to adjust to tank conditions and seem to take much longer to root. I don't quite know how they're meant to be pest resistant when they've never been exposed to pests in the first place. In-vitro plants have basically been "babied" and are not equipped to transition to a submerged state. I've never had an in-vitro plant perform better than others.

My experience backs up this claim too.
They take longer to adjust to tank conditions and seem to take much longer to root. I don't quite know how they're meant to be pest resistant when they've never been exposed to pests in the first place. In-vitro plants have basically been "babied" and are not equipped to transition to a submerged state. I've never had an in-vitro plant perform better than others.
Same experience here. They seem to take much longer to establish and much more susceptible to melt.

These plants are grown in a small protected bubbles so to speak and thinking of carpeting plants in particular it does seem and tropica say that pressurized CO2 is advised . Also the advice is as these plants come out of their little eco system they need feeding from day one. As often they go in nutrient rich soils with liquid fertilisers could this cause melt Is the liquid fertiliser not needed?

These plants are grown in a small protected bubbles so to speak and thinking of carpeting plants in particular it does seem and tropica say that pressurized CO2 is advised . Also the advice is as these plants come out of their little eco system they need feeding from day one. As often they go in nutrient rich soils with liquid fertilisers could this cause melt Is the liquid fertiliser not needed?
I would rather say its the other way around, rich soils or rather fresh soils might be the cause of melting. I have only sand and dose liquid fertilizer. I have not experienced any melting from invitro plants, they just take a lot of time to get going. Alternatively, maybe immature substrate no matter the type is a problem. I will admit I have not tried invitro plants in brand new sand.

Catching up the ongoing train here, but I agree with all the above. I am no botanist or biologist, but this: "in vitro plants have a higher pest resistance compared to non-vitro plants grown traditionally" seems to defy any sense of logic to me.

Here is an analogy:
A TC plant is like a naked person without any immune system thrown into the sewage... Now what you all think would happen. Transformation into hulk or death by lack of immunity? 🤔

I'm wondering if "higher pest resistence" has been caught in a translation error and in fact it's referring to the fact they come from a pest free environment and won't have hitchhikers.
I believe you are correct. Once plants are within the aquarium setting they are no more resistant to "pests" than any other plant. Although, due to their early growing conditions, they do not require any transition period. This avoids leaves dying off. unlike traditionally grown plants.
We all know that decaying leaves attract snails so in a sense, the statement above is quite accurate at the same time.

Hi all,
This avoids leaves dying off. unlike traditionally grown plants.
I'd quibble over <"traditionally grown">. I'll be honest, I think all the advantages, in <"both emersed growing"> and <"in vitro plants">, lies <"with the producer">, not the customer.

I understand the commercial realities of this. I used to propagate a few <"weird and wonderful"> terrestrial plants (<"and fish">) for pocket money (pre-ebay), but I don't now and I'm much happier. Even when I gave up it was difficult to make a profit (even not taking into account your time).

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Does the monetised benefit come from cloning a single plant, perhaps? While this saving does not reach the end user, adding In vitro plants directly into your aquarium without any QT indeed has advantages.
The topic certainly generates an interesting discussion.

Quotation from the blog: "in vitro plants have a higher pest resistance compared to non vitro plants grown traditionally."
A few weeks ago we've discussed TC plants' vulnerability, be it pests or physico-chemical conditions. I can't help it but my experience tells me clearly that TC plants are frail and vulnerable, and my losses are often substantial. Is your experience better?
In the experience we have had, although smaller and slow to take off, they have all grown well. We found with on-point water changes and close to an overdose on ferts, they produce very healthy aquascapes. Our favourite method when using In Vitro plants is EI dosing.

My experience is similar. Often 100% melt. :(
It is advised to use CO2 from the start. They are hungry little plants and have been receiving nutrients from the jelly in the tub so a quality soil is needed.

Hi all,
Does the monetised benefit come from cloning a single plant, perhaps?
It <"could do">, it depends a little bit on the type of plant. It works <"brilliantly with orchids">, which is why you can buy amazing intergeneric grex types for trivial money.

If you found a <"mini version of a popular aquarium plant"> it might be worth trying to bulk it up and sell it commercially.

If you found a variegated sport it would vary as to whether it was possible to bulk it up rapidly. Some variegation is <"caused by viruses"> or are <"chimeral">, which would restrict the use of very small explants.

I'm pretty sure the main advantage is that you can bulk up a plant really quickly and then sell them before they "grow out of profit". Anything that shortens the lead time, before the product is saleable, offers commercial savings.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back