• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Weird wood

IamAHill

Hi again, I'm in the process of setting up my tank - taking it slow but the tank now has water in and I added the wood. Initally it looked like the image below but its gradually fallen apart and is behaving a bit weird.

The wood is a few years old, I had it in my last tank for about a year but its been dried out for about 18 months. Its been in the tank for probs 2 weeks and its started releasing tannins again, its taking ages to sink, the piece at the back is covered in biofilm and as its started to get water logged where I have used super glue to build it, its just coming apart. The front piece is the worst affected.

Once its all sunk I can take it out and reglue - the wet wood would help the glue hold again too and if it wont glue I have cable ties!

Has anyone had this problem before? What have I done wrong?

thanks Andy

tank scape 1.png

So the front piece of wood at the front has totally separated now the one at the back has survived. The biolfilm has all gone and it is all starting to sink.

Hit a bit of a delay on starting this tank when I wanted to as I got called back to work a little sooner than I was expecting and family stuff took over too, so I am now waiting for the wood to sink properly.

I think the issue why it broke up is different sections sank at different rates and because the wood is mainly connected at one end the joint has just flexed and snapped under the pressure of some pieces wanted to float more than others. Once its sunk - hopefully by the weekend I will re-glue and then finally get my plants ordered and set up. I have a few weeks off work now so hoping it goes to plan.

Back