• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Wavemaker only?

Aqua360

Messing around with a 30l set-up which I've just started off, heavily planted.

No livestock, not even shrimp, am I entering a world of pain if I use a wavemaker only for the foreseeable?

Reason being I'm still sorting filtration. If this seems like a bad idea I'll probably drain and dry start, just that since it's Dutch style I wanted to fill from the start.

Cheers!

I don't see why not, only benefit of a filter in that situation is collecting debris but you can do that with a syphon/water changes.

I don't see why not, only benefit of a filter in that situation is collecting debris but you can do that with a syphon/water changes.

Yeah, just didn't know if it would put me at any significant disadvantage, logically I wouldn't expect it to other than the point you made above.

I read something recently about this type of set-up possibly benefitting plants, as they then don't have to compete with the bacteria in the filter for ammonia/nutrients, but have no clue if this is accurate or not.

Why not a very small powerhead sponge over the inlet .Best of both still have beneficial bacteria and flow not a torrent. Darrel dw1305 showed example of this

Hi @Aqua360 There is a thread here on small internal shrimp-safe power heads / sponge filters
Darrel dw1305 showed example of this
Yes, This one

tumblr_mejlu4fatd1r3a6jho1_500.gif

Not sure why you want a "wavemaker" ... that sounds pretty brutal for a 30L tank :lol:

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Why not a very small powerhead sponge over the inlet .Best of both still have beneficial bacteria and flow not a torrent. Darrel dw1305 showed example of this

It's not so much an aversion to using an external, as that I don't have the equipment just yet!

Hoping to make it as "aquascaped" as possible, so I'll be avoiding sponges!

You'd think, but they're actually quite gentle compared to powerheads, obviously depending on the flow rate!
Sure thing - I know you know what your doing - just cracking a joke :) That said, some of these small internal power heads like the Pat mini (which can be regulated) are pretty amazing.

Last edited:
Sure thing - I know you know what your doing - just cracking a joke :) That said, some of these small external power heads like the Pat Mine (which can be regulated) is pretty amazing.

I don't think I know what I'm doing half the time 😂

I like the pat mini, it is almost the perfect shrimp filter next to air sponges. Packs a lot of power as well for its size!

Hi all,
I read something recently about this type of set-up possibly benefitting plants, as they then don't have to compete with the bacteria in the filter for ammonia/nutrients, but have no clue if this is accurate or not.
I'd guess that the filter doesn't make much difference to the plant/microbe balance in fixed nitrogen assimilation. The reason for this would be that there is the same amount of fixed nitrogen in the system and it is always <"plant/microbe filtration"> when you have plants. If you increased the stocking density (bioload) there would be a time when the filter media becomes important, but <"I never have many fish">, so I don't have any personal experience of when that might be.

Why not a very small powerhead sponge over the inlet .
...... next to air sponges.
Either is the simplest answer.

cheers Darrel

Back