• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Waveless Box

Pixels

Hello UKAPS

I enjoy reading the journals on UKAPS a great deal, so I thought I would share my latest project.

I have decided to give my shrimp a bigger home. I am upgrading from my old (scratched) 18x10x10" to a Wave Box 45 that I picked over Christmas.

I am going from this
DSC_0123.JPG

To this (leak testing)
DSC_0148.JPG

My equipment list:
Tank: Wave Box 45
Filter: Eheim 2222
Heater: Hydor inline 200 watt
Light: Two 18 watt Wave Solaris
Substrate: Oliver Knott Nature soil (Fine/black)
CO2: FE setup

With regards to the Nature Soil, I wasn't sure about this (I know a lot of people like it). I got on perfectly well with tropica capped with sand, but it was Christmas and I bought ten litres anyway!

The dirt
DSC_0152.JPG

I would like to get a bit creative with this, but for now I will be transplanting my Hemianthus callitrichoides, Pogostemon helferi, Echinodorus tenellus and some Rotala sp.'green' from the old set up.

Some plants
DSC_0156.JPG

I had a go at planting, but things didn't quite work out as planned! I never realised Nature soil was so light and floaty! It really messed up my planting, so I'm afraid no initial picture just yet (it is in far to big a mess).

It is getting near my bed time, so I have reluctantly left my tank of swirling plants as is. I will see what images I can post by the end of the weekend.

Thanks for looking and critique appreciated.

Pixels

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Your original tank looks brilliant. Are you sticking with a similar layout, or something new? I had problems with ADA aquasoil fine when I first used it, but it settles after a while. I expect Nature soil is similar :) Looking forward to some pics!

Pixels said:
With regards to the Nature Soil, I wasn't sure about this (I know a lot of people like it). I got on perfectly well with tropica capped with sand, but it was Christmas and I bought ten litres anyway!

I had a go at planting, but things didn't quite work out as planned! I never realised Nature soil was so light and floaty! It really messed up my planting, so I'm afraid no initial picture just yet (it is in far to big a mess).

Pixels

I found that the grains in Nature Soil seem larger then Aquasoil and its more light and floaty as you say. On the plus side though it doesn't seem to break down as easily as AS so its good in the long run. Did you plant when the tank was full? Awesome original tank btw, this looks like it will be a nice change and challenge for you.

paul.in.kendal said:
Very, very nice, Pixels. I'm looking forward to some HC growing tips! :D

proper light, plenty of Co2 and a little bit of fertilizer will do the job

Maurits said:
paul.in.kendal said:
Very, very nice, Pixels. I'm looking forward to some HC growing tips! :D

proper light, plenty of Co2 and a little bit of fertilizer will do the job

I'm sure you're right, Maurits, but at the moment it seems to me the real trick is bringing those simple elements together in exactly the right way. Otherwise it's a bit like saying all you need is some oil paint, a canvas and a mysterious model to produce the Mona Lisa...

Sorry for the hijack, Pixels - keep calm and carry on. :thumbup:

paul.in.kendal said:
but at the moment it seems to me the real trick is bringing those simple elements together in exactly the right way.

your thinking too much into it, really. plenty of everything mate.

Reminds of that quote about knowing what you do know, and knowing what you don't. My biggest problem is I don't know what I don't know, so I keep worrying there's more to it than there actually is. Does that make sense? Am I losing it completely? Anyway, I'm doing what you advise and ensuring it gets plenty of everything. You're a great confidence booster, Mark. :clap:

paul.in.kendal said:
Reminds of that quote about knowing what you do know, and knowing what you don't. My biggest problem is I don't know what I don't know, so I keep worrying there's more to it than there actually is. Does that make sense?

makes ense mate.

paul.in.kendal said:
Am I losing it completely?

nope!

i also used to over analyse things...why do i get algae? why is my water cloudy etc etc... i've bought every product availble to make tanks look right! most dont work.

light! if you have plenty, you need plenty of co2! fact. then if the demand is great enough, add plenty of ferts. EI is good for this. seriously, i can run tanks and have done so at arms length, knowing that i can run it algae free. add these 3 components, and you'll be fine.

the light intensity is where you gauge co2 and ferts from.

pixels, i do apoligies for taking this off track. mate, your tanks is great. great plant health! you've got the bug, so now create till your hearts content! :thumbup:

Thanks all for the comments. I really enjoyed the 18" tank, I found it a good size to play with.

PM me if anyone is interested in some HC and Pogostemon as I have lots left. I am happy to send it free of charge, but I would rather only send it to one address.

I have only just had a chance to get back to this tank as I am in the middle of moving house, so I have been busy setting up my 100 litre Crypt tank in the lounge.

Back to the reason I started the journal.

I decided to take all the plants out and start again. As you will see from the picture it got a bit cloudy!

Clear as mud
DSC_0159.JPG

Once the water has cleared I will post a full tank shot.

Cheers
Pix

Right, a final-ish tank shot. There is definitely something missing.

I feel I need to play around with branches a bit more. I did try to create a 'V', but I'm not sure if it has worked. I think I will probably play around the branches over the next week, but I would very much like some suggestions. (any photography tips would be good as well!)

Tank in situ
DSC_0168.JPG

Day 1
DSC_0164.JPG

Look forward to your comments and critique.
Pix

Regarding left over plants.

AdAndrews - I have emailed you regarding some P.helferi.

I will send the rest to chilled84 and then I am all out.

Cheers
Pix

Just a suggestion, may want to add some smaller graded gravels in amongst the small stones. Maybe some moss on the smaller stones too to help tie it in with the moss on the wood? Love the 'wave' form the main rock makes though :thumbup: Looks nice and detailed too which is unusual for such a bold rock layout.

Ooh, I love that main stone, too - really strong.

Despite having already planted up, you have asked for suggestions to alter it, so here goes - this is the first time I've critiqued someone's hardscape, so by all mean ignore me totally...

The main group of smaller pebbles are rather separate from the main stone - you could try creeping a few of the smaller ones round the right front of the main stone, to integrate the two elements a bit.

The main stone itself is ace, but the eye is drawn to top dead centre by it, despite the base being well off to the left. So I wonder if you might try it further over to the right, so the base is central but the sloping left hand side of the rock leads your eye down and across the tank, into a grouping of the lighter pebbles.

You seem least happy with the woodwork. The larger pieces seem to be fighting the strong main stone, while the angles of the two smaller righthand pieces don't complement the angle of the overhanging main stone. I'd try cranking them over further, so they're even more horizontal than that overhang.

Of course, it's so easy to make comment on a two-dimensional image, when you don't have to wrestle with three-dimensional hardscape - whatever you do, it's looking great already, and will only get better as it ages.

Hello all,

I really appreciate all the feedback. I am going to have a play tomorrow, I don't mind tinkering now before anything really gets going.

NeilW said:
Maybe some moss on the smaller stones too to help tie it in with the moss on the wood?
NeilW - Yes, I might just do that. But I will need to wait for more moss to grow before hand. I might look at getting some different mosses, I have been considering some Flame moss.

paul.in.kendal said:
...but the eye is drawn to top dead centre by it, despite the base being well off to the left. So I wonder if you might try it further over to the right, so the base is central but the sloping left hand side of the rock leads your eye down and across the tank, into a grouping of the lighter pebbles.
paul.in.kendal - It does draw you to the centre doesn't it! I think I may move it. I really should have done all of this before I put water in! With regards to the wood, I think I will have to wait and see if I can bring my self to move the main stone and go from there.

I will try and post more pictures tomorrow.

Cheers
Pix

I moved the rock! Tempted to rotate on the spot ever so slightly, but I will sleep on it and see how I feel about it tomorrow.

The wood can be moved around easy enough, so I might move that a bit more, but then I might be moving it forever!

Day 1 - Take two
DSC_0172.JPG

Plants in the tank at the moment are:
Hemianthus callitrichoides
Pogostemon helferi
Echinodorus tenellus
Rotala sp.'green'
Nymphaea stellata

Some random crypts that I took out of my Crypt tank

Critique welcomed as well as any plant suggestions anyone might have.

Cheers
Pix

I like this layout a lot better, the big piece of wood looks great where it is looks like some gnarly root. Try the stone rotated still as you say, may be the final touch! :) You given up on the smaller rounded stones around the base of it now?

It's a shame your already planted up, if it was me I would have tried to slope the substrate at the back to add a bit more depth. This may be solved though when the background plants grow taller creating a similar illusion so its probs no worries. I still like the strong graphic shape of the main stone though.

How you finding the Nature Soil now BTW?

I like this layout a lot better, the big piece of wood looks great where it is looks like some gnarly root.
Thanks NeilW! I still may tinker a little bit more. I think next time I will take my time, but I had to get this tank set up quickly as I had just moved in. There is always the next scape!

I decided to lose the pebbles, but I might add a bit more of the type of rock that is already in the tank.

I am getting a bit more used to the NS now, I was a bit of a shock as I have only used sand/Tropica and Eco-Complete before.

Back