• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Water Sprite Ceratopteris thalictroides low tech

Michael W

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for people's experience with Water Sprite in their low tech aquariums since I've had little success with it in the past. The biggest problem is that it would begin to yellow and waste away even when its floating and having developed emersed growth. Now that I've built up more knowledge, I believe it was due to nutrient deficiency since back then I did not fertilize my tanks. I'm basing this judgement on Darrel's Duckweed Index. I'm hoping to have it as a floating plant in my new setup for my 30L (give or take) aquarium again, since I'll be keeping slow growing plants I'd like to have something that can help build up the plant mass quicker. I wouldn't mind keeping it rooted if needs be. I'm also thinking of have an open top tank with LEDs so that emersed growth won't be burnt which was a problem to some extent when i kept it a few years ago. If anyone has any suggestions on an LED unit which is either a clip on or sits on top of a 18" long aquarium would be appreciated.

P.S it is a low tech tank.

Cheers

Seem's to perform well for me in Nitrogen rich water.
I could maybe see where it might struggle in 30 litre tank with only a few shrimp to feed and or a single Betta.
Wise practice in my view to feed such small tank's and said citter's sparingly unless heavily planted and or frequent water changes take place.
Might stick some in the substrate with fert tab,and maybe float some as well under not too much light for too long.

Back