• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Water preparation

Mattant1984

Hi all,

I have a question about water changes and hope someone can help.
In my low tech tank I do a 40-50% water change weekly and to refill the tank I use the hose connected to the kitchen mixer tap to match the temperature. (Prime added to tank)

I read somewhere that doing this can cause algae issues (bba which I am getting some) due to the huge influx of co2 from the tap water.
Would preparing the water by keeping it in containers a day or 2 before the water change help with this??

Many thanks

Last edited:
At one point many years ago I used to put tap water in a large container and run an airstone in it for an hour or so before using it. This was to help get rid of any chlorine. I no longer bother though as I use very little straight tap water and that goes through a filter anyway.

I'm using RODI water which I store in a separate tank for several days before using it, and I too have some BBA (mostly on slow-growing Araceae, like Bucephalandra and Lagenandra).

Back