• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Water Parameters for Nerites

Eternal_Irony

I've had a nerite in my smaller 10g betta aquarium for around 3 weeks and I'm worried that my water parameters aren't doing him any favours.
Current readings are:
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 10ppm
PH 6.4
KH 108ppm
GH 160ppm
No C02

The tank has been set up for around 2 months and the readings have been pretty consistent.

I haven't been giving the snail any supplementary food as there was quite a bit of green algae from cycling with the lights on for the plants but as he's done a fantastic job of clearing it up I'm going to start adding bits of veg for him. My 90g community gets veggies a couple of times a week, so I'll just chop some smaller bits for the snail.

I've never had snails before and I want to make sure he is well looked after and has everything he needs. Do I need to drop anything in as a calcium suppliment for him or should I add some crushed coral to raise the ph a bit? I know the water is perfect for my betta but is there a happy medium for them both? Any help would be appreciated.

Hi all,
Welcome to UKAPS.

What does the shell look like? Is it showing any <"signs of colour loss or pale patches etc?">
PH 6.4
KH 108ppm
GH 160ppm
No C02
I'm not sure about the pH, with that amount of dKH it should <"be ~ pH 8">. Are you using <"pH buffers">?
Do I need to drop anything in as a calcium suppliment for him or should I add some crushed coral to raise the ph a bit?
If the pH is really below pH7? Unfortunately <"he is ultimately doomed">, but calcium (Ca) rich food will help prolong life. Other types of snail are more persistent in softer water.

cheers Darrel

In low pH, CO2 tank, Nerite shell will lose the brilliant pattern and erode to dull white shell if survive at all.

My guess is it's tannins from the big root in the tank bringing the ph down.
He's not showing any signs of shell erosion but I may try some dolomite or crushed coral in the filter to see if I can being the pH up to around 7. If not I'll move him over to my 90g community. The ph in there is 7.2 so he should be fine.
Thanks

Back