• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Water meadow gardening

killi69

Thank you so much Ady. I do spend many hours most days out there. For ages now, it has felt the garden is 95% ready but the final 5% is never ending. I have oiled the curved decking pathway and the decking over the large pond at the back. Still need to do the decking near the house and the board walks. Still have about 100 plants or so to go in, so that is not too bad. And maybe around 20-30 pond baskets and a few tubs with Scirpus needing to be planted up.

I have gone all out on this project but can you believe that I do not even have any garden furniture to sit down in and relax? It has been hard work but I love it really. It is an amazing view when working from home and often I stroll through the garden when on a work call, pulling out pond weed or watching dragon flies chase each other or whatever. Every day, there are times when I look at the garden, get excited and just can't believe it. I am very grateful🙏

WhatsApp Image 2021-08-06 at 15.22.39 (1).jpeg

Incredibly jealous that you have that view while you work! I've got a long way to go before catching up with you. This is the pond we inherited with our recent house move. Still love sitting by it watching the dragonflies, even if it is a 1980s fibreglass eyesore with cemented crazy paving stones.

Attachments

• 20210623_185356.jpg
    20210623_185356.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 77

killi69

Incredibly jealous that you have that view while you work! I've got a long way to go before catching up with you. This is the pond we inherited with our recent house move. Still love sitting by it watching the dragonflies, even if it is a 1980s fibreglass eyesore with cemented crazy paving stones.
Thank you Natalie! I agree with you. Whatever the surroundings, the inside of any pond can be just as fascinating. Before I had my own space to build these ponds, I made do with large plastic tubs as mini ponds and still spent many hours each week working on them and enjoying the nature within and wildlife they attracted.

No garden is ever 100%, but this is a work of art man :) You can be proud!
Thank you so much Wolf! I remember how enthusiastic and engaged you were with my gardening plans at the start of this journal, so I really appreciate this :)

I have been away for just over a week and was amazed at the growth within that time. I hope to come back with some more updates soon.
20210820_124207.jpg

killi69

This is awesome, I bet a 10 minuet stroll out there soon turns into an hour.

10/10 for execution, much much better than a traditional lawn and paving...
Thank you so much J-Bonham👍🏼👍🏼 It is such a blessing to literally have this on my doorstep but you are so right, that happens to me all the time - taking just a quick look at something ending up lasting so much longer!

I do not miss the lawn. The stupid thing is though that after going all out to create this garden, I still do not even own any garden furniture 🤣. So far, the garden has not been a place for me to sit down and relax in but to be honest, I am not even sure if I will ever be that person. Its all about engaging with the garden which makes being out there so appealling. But getting some comfy chairs is definately a priority for next year!

Apologies for the lack of updates but your post has prompted me to respond. It has been a great first year for the water garden. I finished oiling all of the decking, although the board walks still need treating. I also spent many days planting up dozens of pond baskets as I still had quite a few crates of marginal plants in 9cm pots tucked away inside the ponds at the back so I could pioritise perennials in pots which desperately needed to go in as they were getting pot-bound. As a very busy summer has come to an end and my drive at the front of the house is almost clear of plants waiting to go in, I finally feel I am getting on top of things.

I will leave just a few photographs for now as a way of an update. They were all taken in August. I will aim to come back soon with some more.

Front pond:
20210828_215612.jpg

IMG_20210901_085955_043.jpg

Middle ponds:
20210904_074419.jpg

20210828_161517.jpg

Back ponds:
20210823_155337.jpg

20210823_160903.jpg

Last edited: