• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Water lettuce needs if any.

Just wondering if water lettuce not really doing well in an indicator of something lacking? I have had various plant species in my tank with varying levels of success. I bought some water lettuce from a member in here, they were fine plants but gradually the new off spring just don't seem to go far.
I would have thought that being nearest to the light, dosing EI, Co2 and EC these things would have been in their element but they just don't do that well. I try and net out the duck weed that has smuggled in on them once a week to give them as much as the surface as I can.

Is there anything these plants like or dislike in particular? Wondering if it may be an adverse effect of the EC. I have about 2wpg of lighting in T8's if that's of any relevance.

Hi all,
They like a lot of light, try them in a bucket of tank water outside in the sun. If they don't perk up there is something missing from the tank water.

Mine tend to stay about the size of 50p piece in the tank, with 4 or 5 very flat leaves, but with a lot of light and nutrients outside you can grow them up to football size.

cheers Darrel

Out of anything light will probably be a big factor. My T8 tubes come in a lid that for some reason and I don't know why I did it :rolleyes: :oops: I cleaned the perspex cover with a brillo pad :lol: My tubes are also very old. You can get a new cover for £25 from Aqua-one but when I shopped around I can get a new lid for £99.95 free delivery. My lids a bit shabby and has cracks in as it gets brittle so I'm in between the new lid or a open top sit on rim light. Sort of swayed away from open top at the minute as it's too close to tv and distracting.
Needless to say my 2wpg is probably a lot lower at the minute. I'll try a few out in a bucket in my conservatory and see how they get on.

Back