• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Water KH info.

Martin cape

Hi guys.

I am going to be getting a CO2 injection setup going soon. But, I've been reading that the pH in soft water will fluctuate a lot when I do this.

My tap water has a pH of 7.6 and a KH of less than 1dKH. I will only be injecting CO2 through the door so will the pH change too much? I know the pH will drop as co2 is injected, then rise again when it stops.

Could I raise the KH to say 4dKH using sodium bicarb to stop the pH swing being as severe?

Thanks guys. I'm new to this.

You might find this article usefull: Water Chemistry & The Planted Tank

I'm in the same situation KH out of the tap is about two. I add 18g Sodium Bicarbonate to every 36 gallon water change to bring it up to KH = 5.

I'd bring it up slowly over several water changes if you already have livestock in your tank.

Really good article that. GH out of my tap is less than 1 too.

So, really I need to get my KH and GH about 4 degrees.

So, should I be adding the appropriate amount of sodium bicarb (for KH), Epsom salts and calcium chloride (for GH)

Or do I just add the salts and calcium chloride which raises both?

I follow what it says in the article:

To sum it up. To raise kH use baking soda. One teaspoon will increase the kH of 50 liters of water (13 gallons) by 4 degrees (68 ppm).

To raise gH use calcium chloride and Epsom salts. Add them separately or you will end up with calcium sulfate which takes a very long time to dissolve.
0.79 grams of calcium chloride and 0.33 grams of Epsom salts will raise 10 gallons of water about 1° of gH.

Quick question, the 10 gallons, is that US or UK gallons?
I assumed US since it's an American site.

BTW, I'd suggest you buy a small digital scale 0 - 100g. Ebay is full of them for a few pounds.
You can't be accurate working with dosing spoons IMHO.

Already ordered one ;) and a metal spatula ;).

The chemist in me bringing my work home with me lol.

Right, ill have to recalculate everything lol.

I usually do the Epsom salts first. Not sure if it makes any difference!

Just I done some before and the water ended up dead white and cloudy??

You need to make sure you allow a good time time between adding the Epsom Salts making sure that it's well into solution, before adding the calcium chloride to avoid precipitation, which it sounds like is happening.

Likewise, you need to add the sodium bicarbonate and let that go into solution to achieve yoour target KH, before dosing for GH

Apparently it's coz I have Sodium bicarb in there too, to increase KH also.

Apparently they react forming sodium chloride.

Wondering if they can be added separately to avoid this.

I usually leave about twenty minutes between adds with good circulation in the water

Apparently it's coz I have Sodium bicarb in there too, to increase KH also.

Apparently they react forming sodium chloride.

Wondering if they can be added separately to avoid this.

Calcium Sulphate I think. see above - you need to make the adds separately

Yea you sent me that pal. Helped a lot. For some reason though I assumed it was the Epsom salts and calcium chloride that reacted. But just tried again and that's stayed clear.

So just gotta keep sodium bi carb seperate to them.

Back