• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Water flow

It is difficult in an aquarium but also not realy mysterious rocket sceince.. And encreasing flow actualy doesn't realy eliminate dead spots. Because dead spots aren't realy dead, it is a stagnation point where flow is minimized. So there still flows water but much less than for example in front of the ubstruction. Changing the flows derection only moves dead spots to another area.. But in general every obstacle has it's lee side and a stagnation point..

Now in hydrodynamics this aint realy documented that well, humans do not make much use of it we rathr stay on something that floats.. But water has almost the excact same characteristics as air.. A bit slower all and greater forces are involved but in general it if you know what air does around an obstacle you can predict water will behaive simularly..

So to understand it a little bit, what can give you a guiding hand to understand Airflow/wind and turbulences it causes, than dive a little into the search terms, "obstacle turbulence" and "Aviation meteorology" and "Windward and Leeward". Than you'll find pictures, drawings and diagrams speaking for themselfs but if you want also expainations about what wind does around objects. And since water behaves the same than with this understanding you can predict a little bit where deadspots are likely to occure in your tank.. Obviously behind obstacles in regard from what direction water pushes against it and the shape of the object.

To predict if these spots cause problems for plant growth? Is trail and error i guess.
:)

I dose my tank with easy-life filter medium when I do a water change, it's a white liquid which helps improve water quality. When I put my pump back on the liquid disperses round the tank and I can see the flow of the water.

Back