• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Water Changes

PARAGUAY

Anyone agree with this -don't fertilise your plants just after a water change as the dechlorinator will react with the liquid fertiliser. I use a bit of a random method ATM of dosing less often but at water change and keep a eye on the plants ,but was surprised to read this

I'm no expert but have been dosing once per week, immediately after a WC for about 18 months.

Agree with the above, not an issue. To me it sounds like one of those that need to spread fear and worry to feel important.
Chlorine is dangerous because it is a reactive oxidizer, thiosulfate or another reducing agent is added as the dechlorinator to ’neutralize it‘, at the end of the process you are left with the rel. harmless chloride ion. Neutralize here is a marketing term intended to mean make not harmful. Curious what these people propose happens with nitrate or potassium when you add dechlorinator....
Some brands of dechlorinators also include a chelator that ’neutralizes‘ zinc, copper and lead ...again these compounds don‘t vanish without a trace and it‘s likely they are still plant available, just less toxic to fish and shrimp.

Last edited:
Some brands of dechlorinators also include a chelator that ’neutralizes‘ zinc, copper and lead ...again these compounds don‘t vanish without a trace and it‘s likely they are still plant available, just less toxic to fish and shrimp.
Indeed. EDTA chelate as far as I remember, so definitely still plant available.

I wouldn't worry about the plant nutrients.
For medication it might be something to consider, based on manufacturers advising the user to avoid doing both at the same time. I guess in case it neutralizes parts or all of the medicine.

or the medication is also a strong reducing agent and there is a risk of being too aggressive ---running of oxidizers, low ORP etc....

Anyone agree with this -don't fertilise your plants just after a water change as the dechlorinator will react with the liquid fertiliser. I use a bit of a random method ATM of dosing less often but at water change and keep a eye on the plants ,but was surprised to read this

I always front load all my fertilizers... At the very tail-end of my RODI membranes lifespan or back when I used to mix tap and RO water I would always add de-chlorinator (Prime) and never noticed any issues. Perhaps the rumor came about because Sachem in their marketing implies that they remove or "detoxify" nitrate; "Prime removes chlorine, chloramine and detoxifies ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate." whatever that means... I asked a similar question years ago and if I remember correctly Clive, @X3NiTH or @dw1305 explained the chemical process. No, it wont remove, neutralized or "detoxify" the NO3 your dosing.

Cheers,
Michael

Back