• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Water Change on Wheels

jellybean

I’ve been using a Brute 32 gallon trash can (US) and the dolly that comes with it for remineralized RO storage. Usually around 27 gallons of water in the can. I’d like to increase the amount of water I change by roughly 10 gallons so I’ll probably get the next size can which holds 44 gallons. The dolly will fit the new can but has a weight limit of only 250 pounds so I’ll be getting a new dolly of some sort. But … will roughly 37 gallons of water be too much to roll around the house? All tile floors. Tell me your success or horror stories.

Last edited:
37lb is like 17kg. My dog weighs twice that much.

EDIT: I see you mean 37Gallons. So 140kg give or take. Depends what’s under the tiles but yeah, I’d happily push that around my tiled floor.

Last edited:
I’ve been using a Brute 32 gallon trash can (US) and the dolly that comes with it for remineralized RO storage. Usually around 27 gallons of water in the can. I’d like to increase the amount of water I change by roughly 10 gallons so I’ll probably get the next size can which holds 44 gallons. The dolly will fit the new can but has a weight limit of only 250 pounds so I’ll be getting a new dolly of some sort. But … will roughly 37 gallons of water be too much to roll around the house? All tile floors. Tell me your success or horror stories.

That is doable with an appropriate dolly on flat floors made of stone tiles (watch out for floor damage if its not stone). Water is terribly damaging so be careful. If it flips and you spill 140 Liters (37 US Gallon) of water that will potentially be a heck of a lot of water damage inside the house.

Cheers,
Michael

Oops, I meant 37 gallons of water which, I believe, is roughly 275 pounds.
I have to do the conversion from freedom units to metric but if your floor is solid under the tiles then you’ll have no problem. Floor tiles only tend to crack when there’s deflection (or unevenness) in the substrate. Floors such as chipboard tend to flex but osb or ply don’t if the right thickness and fixed at appropriate centres. If it’s on concrete, you’re fine.

Different tiles have different hardness but porcelain and stone will be very tough. Ceramic less so.

We have porcelain tile over concrete so we should be good with that part. Now, can you recommend a dolly for a round Brute trash can that will be sturdy enough?

Back