• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Water change methods

Andrew Butler

I know people have their suggestions dotted around the forum in various threads but I haven't come across them in one place.

I have a couple of queries which people might help me with or people might put their water change methods up for all to see.

-I can siphon my aquarium straight into a drain so that is fine, I can also connect a hose to a tee in my return which then allows me to drain straight from there to make things easier.
-I have also fitted a water temperature regulator which I connect to a hose straight to my aquarium
so it will only let water through at that temperature (once the water in the pipes has warmed up)

The part I struggle on is filling up without disturbing the substrate; I have tried things like a colander, aiming the water upwards which have all failed. Are there other methods people use out there which doesn't involve slowing the water right down? As the water is gravity fed the moment I put a shower type adaptor on it slows right down then takes an eternity to refill.

Be careful about using your filter pipes (that is my reading of your message) as water inlets and outlets for tank emptying and filling.

There are a couple of issues:
- When emptying, it can be very easy to suck filter the filter the wrong way and end up pulling filter detritus out of the filter and into the pipework/tank.
- Putting non dechlorinated water in filter pipe work will quickly kill (or render less effective) the filter bacteria.

Can be done, but think carefully before you either fill your tank with filter detritus or fill the filter with chlorinated water.

When I pump water back into the tank I put a 2litre jug in the tank and pump into that so as to not disturb the plants and/or substrate.

Maybe my wording wasn't quite right!

When emptying, it can be very easy to suck filter the filter the wrong way and end up pulling filter detritus out of the filter and into the pipework/tank
It's just using a siphon (gravity; no pump) like the water which usually travels to the filter so don't see how this could be an issue, I have a G6 filter so it's at this point I would normally be getting the pre filter out so the filter would be isolated in any case.

Putting non dechlorinated water in filter pipe work will quickly kill (or render less effective) the filter bacteria
The hose goes straight into the aquarium, I don't refill using the tee. I add Prime as its going and dose enough for the whole tank rightly or wrongly. It seems the way a lot of people using a hose straight to the tank or python type systems tank do it without issue.

When I pump water back into the tank I put a 2litre jug in the tank and pump into that so as to not disturb the plants and/or substrate
thanks, has been noted

Last edited:
Fill into/onto a plastic shopping bag.
How much water are you changing at a time? I can do a 50% with little to no substrate disturbance during refill but my tank is 50cm deep.

I've seen that method and it just looks messy

50% water change is normally what I normally go for to.
Not as messy as you might think. I typically only use it on a first fill though.

You could try attaching a Gardening Watering Can Rose to some tubing!
Or even rig up 2 or 3 together with some plastic pipe ;).
41c9rDRZDWL.jpg

hoggie

I had the same issue and made loads of little holes in a plastic milk bottle with a dremmel.
Just put the hose into the container and it reduces the amount of flow coming out of the hose.
The more holes you have the faster you can fill the tank up.

Not as messy as you might think. I typically only use it on a first fill though.
First fill I can understand a bit more but I'm hoping for an easier solution than having a wet piece of plastic every week, thanks for the suggestion though.

Gardening Watering Can Rose to some tubing!
I've used a multi function spray gun which has the same effect but it just seemed to restrict the flow a bit too much, the hot water's only gravity fed.

I had the same issue and made loads of little holes in a plastic milk bottle with a dremmel.
Just put the hose into the container and it reduces the amount of flow coming out of the hose.
do you mean it spreads the flow? - not meaning to be picky!
I assume you just put the end of the hose into the container and leave the top open?
I like this idea as I can adjust the size and amount of holes to suit my flow and it would be unrestricted like with the spray gun or watering can attachment.

do you mean it spreads the flow? - not meaning to be picky!
I assume you just put the end of the hose into the container and leave the top open?
I like this idea as I can adjust the size and amount of holes to suit my flow and it would be unrestricted like with the spray gun or watering can attachment.
Yes, exactly. I had a 1000l/h pump to refill a 60L tank with fine sand and never had a problem.

Hi all

Use whatever you have for bringing water to the tank (hose, bucket...) and just let the water fall on a plastic with bubbles (the ones used for wrapping fragile objects). It floats and will be at the right position always. I cut a piece that has the same surface as my tank so it perfectly fits and doesn’t move during water filling

Jordi

Hi,
i'm very lazy...
so i use this in my tanks:
38248093901_7ddddd6fba_b.jpg

- I never shipon direct to sewer, always to big box with 60 liters, is very easy to catch shrimps, snails, etc. (in the end i check the box!)
- I use a small piece of hose in outflow, avoiding splashing water during low water level.
- The tap water always comes very slowly, to smooth temperature shock.
cheers

plastic with bubbles
Ah we call that bubble wrap, I'v not come across that idea before.

I'm unsure what other people call the 2 pipes from their filters but I use the terms flow and return; Flow being the 'clean' water from the filter to the aquarium and return being the 'dirty' water from the aquarium to the filter.

I'm not trying to pick your method apart tmiravent, just put my questions / answers over.

so i use this in my tanks:
How does this carry on siphoning water when it goes below the line of the lily pipe / flow?

- I never shipon direct to sewer, always to big box with 60 liters, is very easy to catch shrimps, snails, etc. (in the end i check the box!)
My tee is on the return so the only shrimp or snails that would get through are the ones which would normally be able to enter the filter through the guards on the return pipe.

I use a small piece of hose in outflow, avoiding splashing water during low water level.
Does this mean you connect a piece of hose to the flow (lily pipe) in the aquarium? This wouldn't really be any different to me just using my hose straight into the tank as far as disturbance is concerned would it?

- The tap water always comes very slowly, to smooth temperature shock.
I've fitted a water temperature regulator which will only let water out at a certain temperature +/- 1 degree

When I pump water back into the tank I put a 2litre jug in the tank and pump into that so as to not disturb the plants and/or substrate.

I half fill 10 litre buckets of pre-heated RO water and pour very fast over my hand to break the flow. Never seems to uproot any plants or stir up the substrate. I've been doing 50-100 litres per week using this method for more than two years.

I am using Gilles' method as described here: https://www.aquascaping-blog.com/1848/aquarium-verversen-onderhouden (it's in Dutch but you see the pictures)
A summary including personal adjustments:
- I attach an Eheim pump to the aquarium glass + hose and start the flow to a sewer
- Once the water flows, I mostly remove the hose from the pump under water and attach it to the vacuum end of a syphon (I don't know how to describe this better) so that I can vacuum the gravel while the water flows to the sewer
- when refilling the tank, I put a bucket under the tap and the same Eheim pump in the bucket, and pump the water via the bucket to the tank. At the same time I monitor the temperature from the tap / bucket with a thermometer.
- I use a spare Eheim filter inlet at the other end of the hose. No need to attach it to the tank as it can hang on the bend. I haven't cut the filter inlet so it hangs under water even with a big water change. Even when it's close to the gravel it does not disturb it at all as flow goes up and sidewards, it works really well and the otos and the Amanos love it too.

Back