• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Water being sucked out of my Bubble Counter

stujo

I am using a Fluval 88g bubble counter in my Co2 system. I use a 2kg FE, with regulator, needle valve etc, through the bubble counter, then a splitter into two separate CO2 lines, supplying two glass diffusers, each placed just below the inlets to each of my two Eheim 2217 filters to mix the Co2. I have a non return valve between the regulator and bubble counter to protect the regulator etc. and a needle valve in each Co2 line after the splitter to regulate CO2 flow to each diffuser. I have used this arrangement for a few years now, but have one minor issue which bugs me. No matter how little water I have in the bubble counter and no matter what pressure, a small amount of water from the bubble counter is sucked up the CO2 line/s towards the diffusers (I can see it moving up the CO2 tubing). I only need to top up the bubble counter every couple of weeks. So my question is, "is it normal for a small amount of water to go up through the CO2 line and Is water the best/only liquid to use in the bubble counter?" - many thanks

Sounds like I have exactly the same setup, my water in the bubble counter also disappears over the space of a couple of weeks..

Not sure if that's normal though, bugs me too!

I'm sure someone else had the same problem a couple of weeks ago and one bit of advice given was to replace the water in the bubble counter with oil... I cant remember what sort of oil was suggested though!!!

You can add another one way valve between bubble counter and diffuser.

But water will still go through.

I think his problem is a high bubble rate or occasional surges like with my cheapo needle valve where the curve is definitely not linear so when there's a lot of bubbling, a bit of water goes into the tube as moisture and then slowly forms into drops.

Thanks for your replies, guess its just one of those things that happens and we live with it. Yes Stuart_B I read the same about using some form of oil in the bubble counter as it was more viscous. However, I wasn't prepared to risk it and maybe finish up with oil in the tank. Progen, I think you are right, I do run at 3-4bps and can see the moisture in the tube just above the bubble counter, this must gradually build up into a bubble and then go up the tube. Anyway, as I said my current setup is fine, just a minor irritation, and if there was a simple answer it would be on this forum, so thanks.

Back