• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Washing New Plants?

Wilis

Hi all,
Just wondering what people here wash new plants with before introducing them into their aquarium to rid them of any nasties that could affect their livestock, especially when swapping plants etc?
Regards
Will

I don`t feel the need to wash my new plants because I buy/acquire them from reputable sources. The only things that come in on my plants are snails, and they are more than welcome in my tanks.

If you have doubts about what may be introduced in to your tanks from your sources, take a look elsewhere. :D

Dave.

Depends what you mean by nasties. A rinse under fresh water is always a good idea before introducing as some retailers dip their plants in a strong copper solution, but not sure if this is very common now. Snails aren't really classified IMHO as a nastie but you'll have to do a 1:20 bleach dip to get rid of them - also damages the plant at the same time though. Known people to get newts come in with plants on very odd occasions. Dragon fly larva can also cause problems but not sure if they come in on plants or are laid by the dragon flies. I've on a few occasions caught dragon flies around my tank on a summers day when the back door has been left open.

Generally speaking if you get your plants from a reputable dealer then all you have to worry about is getting a few snails which if you don't overfeed won't be any problem.

James

Thanks guys,
I never have any problems with buying plants from my usual places, Tropica from Rhyl aquaria n TGM, & snails I don't class as nasties either - just snacks for my discus :lol:
Just with people talking about buying plants,esp mosses, on eBay from places such as Taiwan & Malaysia & a few other sellers on there I wondered if anyone had any concerns that's all?
Regards
Will

Brought a few things from malaysia and never had any problems or heard of anyone else having problems. I do always give my plants a quick rinse prior to planting.

James

Back