• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Very high cylinder pressure?

parotet

Hi all

This week I runt out of CO2 and I went for a refill (2kg modified FE). Now my high pressure gauge (the one indicating pressure in the CO2 cylinder) reads 1500 psi (60 psi on the working pressure). I don't remember seeing such a high value in the cylinder pressure gauge (I think it was around 800 psi)... for the other one I can't remember. I am pretty sure this pressure is not critical in terms of security, but to be honest it is the first time I am having difficulties for getting a stable flow (stable nb of bubbles per minute)... anything to be worried about, any recommendation?

Jordi

Probably get back to the refill firm for their opinion,they should know as they should have all the registration etc to do that. I am no expert but a local welding firm,they probably come across every issue or your best local Planted tanks? shop?even the regulator supplier may help?

Karol from CO2Art replied very kindly an email I sent to her. She told me that when you open the cylinder, the first blow can make the high pressure gauge jump very high (higher than the real pressure). She suggested several tips for degassing the regulator, and when I did it the gauge read 0... but jumped again to 1500 psi when I attached it to the cylinder and opened the valve.
This means that my cylinder has been overfilled. I’m now on my mobile and I cannot put the link, but I read a thread in Planted Tank in which someone explains that overfilling is not a problem (due to security valve blowing if needed at 2000-2500 psi) and that this high reading will probably remain at 1500 psi until the cylinder gets empty (so I won’t see a progressive decrease in pressure in the coming months or even if I try to degas a little bit the cylinder... not sure why). 1500 psi is really in the top range of overfilling as far as I have seen, but lots of people report readings around 1000 psi

Jordi

Back