• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Very few to no water changes. Have you tried that? I have.

Kelvin12

Stan what are the 2 tone fish if I might ask. My clown loaches would never let me see them out front like that. As soon as I walk in they are gone into their log. Feed time I have to sit across the other side of the room and barely breathe.

Stan510

Those are Melontainea bosemani, aka Rainbow fish. All were small fish when I put them in..the Loaches about as small as you can get them. Those Rainbows can be half yellow,half orange and some half near red with blue front halfs. I notice that the half yellow tend to be larger than the half red-orange types so far. I did not buy all at the same time,months between purchases. But yes,the half yellow hang to the left and the smaller oranges to the right. No fights,they just show respect for older fish I guess.

Kelvin12

Thanks for that will have to look out for them over here.
Just checked them out they are an Australian native with quite a large family group by the looks of it. Funny never coming across them before.
The colourful ones mostly come from New Guinea. Good looking fish.

Last edited:

Soilwork

The guy knows what he is doing ...

Plant choice, flow distribution, emersed growth, livebearers. <-- recipe for success under these constraints.

And thus evidence that the method of no water changes can work…..

Once we accept that it can work (not only work but breed fish) we can begin to understand and talk about why.

bazz

Thanks for that will have to look out for them over here.
Just checked them out they are an Australian native with quite a large family group by the looks of it. Funny never coming across them before.
The colourful ones mostly come from New Guinea. Good looking fish.
You could go and catch your own, then I would be jealous!

Stan510

I almost went with White Clouds for the 920 liter when I set it up..just to see them go generations. That was one idea ,Altums was another and Rainbows. The Altums I worried would spook next to window light and a toddler hitting the panes as the want to do. The White Clouds are so small even as adults it would be eye strain. So,I went with Rainbows who's only one small demerit is that they are larger than almost every internet photo of them.