• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

UV lights

Nick16

hi guys, i am soon to be getting a large tank of around the 400L mark. Now it will be planted of course and im slowly getting some of the equipment together.im interested in getting myself a UV light, but i dont really know much about them. does anyone know of any good sites / have any good links that provide good info. (unless you want to dish out your own knowledge!!) :lol:

also, what are recommended makes/sizes to use? (like brands, wattage etc)

Many thanks. (and yes you should all be working an not crusing the forum) :lol:

do you need one?
they kill pathogens but a healthy tank shouldnt experience problems, it has also been said that the water can become "too clean" in which case the fishes immune system is weaker.
it can break down the chelator in trace mixes.
it kills algae cells that pass through it, that doesnt mean it will solve all your algae problems though.
i used to hae one but took it out because i didnt see the point, i had kept fish sucessfulyl before so what difference would it make now?

its not for any particular reason, i just thought it would be nice to try it.
Its not to fight algae as i prefer to address why the algae has appeared and not throw stuff at it to try to hide it.

as you say, perhaps i dont need one, but its interesting about the water being 'to clean'

Back