• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Utility of terrestrial/emersed plants in a planted tank

RickyV

On my 3000 Liter High Tech Planted Tank I have been growing a lot of terrestrial plants (mostly philodendrons).
Screenshot_20240615_201648_Gallery.jpg

I figured they are great extra filtration. They also give nice shade to the front display panel. I imagine they are pulling all sorts of stuff from the water and unlike aquatic plants, the unhealthy/old leaves aren't leeching what they removed back into the water.

However, I've been thinking are they actually removing much other than the main macro and micro nutrients? Am I just wasting extra fertilizer for them with no significant extra benefit? What are everyone's thoughts on growing terrestrial plants in a planted tank?

On my 3000 Liter High Tech Planted Tank I have been growing a lot of terrestrial plants (mostly philodendrons). View attachment 220260
I figured they are great extra filtration. They also give nice shade to the front display panel. I imagine they are pulling all sorts of stuff from the water and unlike aquatic plants, the unhealthy/old leaves aren't leeching what they removed back into the water.

However, I've been thinking are they actually removing much other than the main macro and micro nutrients? Am I just wasting extra fertilizer for them with no significant extra benefit? What are everyone's thoughts on growing terrestrial plants in a planted tank?
Other than adding an aesthetic appeal to the overall look of the aquarium, I do find it useful as a secondary biological filtration unit (i have my plants in two big breeder boxes) for housing beneficial bacteria that can act as a backup just incase something we're to go wrong with my main filter.
0a223e2636fe06d7745ad669f111362e.jpg

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

They are a good emergency back up. Filter packs up, sudden ammonia spike, population explosion makes you overstocked... a tank with that sort of planting is going to cope much better with that sort of event.

You will likely need more fertilizer, but that's true whether your plants are under or above the water line and above can sometimes be easier maintanence.

I would say most people grow them for the look though, if you enjoy them then they are no more pointless than any other part of having a tank you enjoy looking at.

Back