• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Using rocks from outside

Vanish

This is just a query on using rocks that I've found when out and about. Where I work I'm able to lay my hands on some rather large and interesting rocks. I made use of some of these when building my pond, and was able to split some to gain the desired look I was after. I'm thinking of using some in my aquarium, but was considering the possible risks of using just any old rock. I do remember many years ago someone telling me to put vinegar onto a rock to check if it contains lime. Could this be the main risk? Obviously any external pollutants could be cleaned from the rock.

Hi all,
I do remember many years ago someone telling me to put vinegar onto a rock to check if it contains lime. Could this be the main risk? Obviously any external pollutants could be cleaned from the rock.
I always use rocks I find, I think you are pretty safe as long as you keep away from quartz with iron pyrites and green slate. Limestone rocks will raise dGH/dKH, but really old, hard limestones, like White Peak or Mendip Carboniferous limestone, hardly give off any bases.

If you want to be sure about a rock (legally collected) beach cobbles are pretty safe, it is only really hard rock that forms nice rounded cobbles.

cheers Darrel

You should be perfectly fine using just any old rock. Give them a thorough clean and you can try the good old vinegar method on a small piece of sample from the rock to check if it will contribute to the water hardness. One other thing I would look out for is that the rock does not have any sharp jagged edges to reduce the risk of fish injuring themselves.

Great stuff. Looks like I'll be busy this weekend - rock sorting

Back