• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Using plants to soften lighting?

Notator

Hi all,
I'm a newbie trying to set up my first planted tank...
I have a 120x40wx50h tank with 4x T5 24w - switchable to either two or all tubes on/off.
Even just two of the tubes seems blooming bright to me - but I've no experience to draw on..

I've read that it is a good idea not to "blast" the new plants with light, I can't raise/lower the light unit
(it sits on legs either side of the tank)...

Would it be a good idea to get something fast growing like Riccia and let it float to "mute" the lights for all my
new (soon to be delivered!! Yay!) plants?

Hoping to have Hemianthus carpet, Micranthemum Umbrosum mid tank, moss and anubia on mopani wood.

Yes,
You are only limited by you own imagination in terms of what to use to obscure the lighting. Any obstruction can be used such as floating plants, darkened glass or acrylic, or even cheese cloth.

Cheers,

How can I keep the Riccia in one place though? Tie some to the side and wait for the rest to "snare up" in it?

Hinch > Snail magnet - lol - that's fine ... I have lots of baby assassins ready from my nano tank who will shortly be rehoused in more palatial surroundings once the new tank starts to establish!!

Ceg > you're a genius - I have a mate who laser cuts acryllic for signs and things, I'll go and see what I can scrounge!

i don't really keep it in one place I just put a tiny amount in and let it float/be blown around by filter. as its grown it covers a large chunk of the surface now and tends to just sit in a corner as its mass has got so large.

Pennywort works well for floating cover, or to shade the lighting a bit.
I use small suction cups off cheap thermometer's for aquarium's, to secure the floating plant's where they are wanted and to keep them from drifting over area's where they aren't wanted. 8)

Back