• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Upgrading lighting, 2 or 4 bulb t5?

Killamanjaro

Hey all,

I'm going to be upgrading my lighting in the next month and am looking at the iQuatics Aqualumi T5 to fit in my juwel vision 180. I'd love to go full LED but that wont happen until I upgrade the tank to a 6ft one.

Out of the Aqualumi lights there is an option of 2 bulb or 4 bulb t5 units, would a 4 bulb be overkill? I have crypts, hygrophilla and anubias in the tank along with some amazon swords and valiserna that seem to be struggling a little hence the light upgrade.

Would a 4 bulb unit cover the lighting needs, even if I decided to add in some red plants later?

I would go for the four bulb if they are independently switchable (2x2). If not then the two bulb would be better.
You wont need 4 bulbs but its is nice to have them for photo opportunities or to use different colour bulbs for sunrise sunsets (if they are switchable)

I have had the 4 tube iQuatics unit, with reflectors, for a year or two now. Works fine. Nice feature is fits Vision180 fine along with the existing Juwel lid flaps.

Personally I found the supplied tubes "too red" for my liking so I have swapped two tubes for Juwel HiLite daylight tubes (8000K).. This gives a much whiter light and makes the plants stand out more.

I have had two tube failure, both my fault. I allowed my plants to take over the bracing bar and where they came into contact with the tubes, cause crazing of the glass and eventually tube failure. I now push the plants/soil/moss away from tubes at each water change.

These are bright lights and moving to 4 T5 tubes from 2 tubes in one jump did produce BBA and green algae. However once settled down I run with 4 tubes algae(ish) free. I have the light unit connected to my controller, it comes on with only two tubes for an hour before all 4 tubes and two tubes an hour before all going off. This possibly helps keep algae at bay.

Nice thing compared to Juwel unit is they come apart easily to access the wiring and ballasts if ever needed.

@foxfish thanks for the reply mate!

@ian_m this is exactly what I wanted to hear. I was looking at the iquatics as its a perfect fit and allows me to keep the juwel lid flaps.
I checked out george Farmer's review on youtube and found they have two sets of plugs, one to run two tubes and another to run the other two.
I'd be running two juwel colour bulbs and two daylight bulbs to help plants and fish colours.

I checked out george Farmer's review on youtube and found they have two sets of plugs, one to run two tubes and another to run the other two.
Yes two plugs. Initially when I got mine I connected to two mains timers to control each set of two over different times.

I now use my PLC controller to control the 2 & 4 tubes, where I can set times for 2 tubes and 4 tubes. Also alternates the 2 tubes that are on to wear all tubes evenly. :D
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/how-to-use-a-plc-to-control-your-fish-tank.42993/

Yes two plugs. Initially when I got mine I connected to two mains timers to control each set of two over different times.

I now use my PLC controller to control the 2 & 4 tubes, where I can set times for 2 tubes and 4 tubes. Also alternates the 2 tubes that are on to wear all tubes evenly. :D
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/how-to-use-a-plc-to-control-your-fish-tank.42993/

Just checked out the PLC info link, my mind is frazzled! I'll have to go through it a few more times to get my head around it I think :D

I'll have to go through it a few more times to get my head around it I think :D
Basically replaces 12 remote controlled mains timers. Easy.

Want lights on 17:00 to 23:00 Monday to Thursday and 17:00 to 00:00 Fri & Sat (forgot Sunday..). Zap, easy peasy just done right now. Obviously a bit of wiring :)p) needed as well.
upload_2018-3-27_14-14-4.png

You are better off getting pressurized CO2 over 2 more bulbs for pure results, especcially with slow growers that don't demand much light like anubias and crypts.
It's so easy to get green spot algae on anubias with too high PAR values.

Back