• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Unknown plant ID

Hi guys, quick question. Can anyon ID this very fine filamentous plant that I’ve just noticed growing from the bases of my Cryptocoryne balansai and Lagenandra meeboldi red?
I’ve only just noticed it today so assume it has grown pretty quickly. Worries it could be something that ends up in plague proportions?!

Attachments

• C83806F0-32AA-4EC8-A2F3-F7606648AD0D.jpeg
    C83806F0-32AA-4EC8-A2F3-F7606648AD0D.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 126
  • 39D13683-0126-49EA-83FC-C8AE51CC23F1.jpeg
    39D13683-0126-49EA-83FC-C8AE51CC23F1.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 94
Really? That’s reassuring. They certainly don’t look like any roots I’ve seen before!!! Thanks

Might this suggest they are putting roots out searching for food from the water column? They are in aqua soil and the tank is only about a month old. Currently dosing TNC complete

Hi all,
Not sure these roots are capable of much nutrient up take!
I get these roots in the <"structural leaf litter"> layer above the sand, so I'm working on the theory that they probably are taking-up nutrients.

I've not seen Cryptocoryne spp. in the wild, but I understand they grow in <"seasonally innundated forest areas with flowing water">, so I'd guess that they need the <"strong roots and rhizomes"> to anchor them in the soil against the water flow and then they are using the fine roots to pick up nutrients from the seasonally wet organic layer.

This is Cryptocoryne regina <"growing in Kalimantan">.

f11_325.jpg

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Thanks guys some reassuring advice here. Was on the brink of thinking I may have an invasive hitchhiker that’s come along for the ride!!!!
I’ll keep an eye and if they start picking up detritus I may nip them back a touch

Back