• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Understanding my water supply report?

The remineralising salt is also pretty easy stuff to use Sam and as its just as easy to run off 120litres as it is 100litres (and so on) of RO water for me (no extra work required) it is also the lazy option. If I were buying the RO water at £3 for 25 litres in my LFS I may certainly think differently but I have my own RO filter so the financial outlay has already been spent so I may as well utilise it as it were.

The one thing that I have learnt from all of this though Sam is that I'm sure that I have been worrying to much about it all, and probably driving those on here trying to help me insane :) .

chris1004 said:
...The one thing that I have learnt from all of this though Sam is that I'm sure that I have been worrying to much about it all, and probably driving those on here trying to help me insane :) .
Ummm..well, I'd be willing to bet that hobbyist have kill 10,000,000X more fish from CO2 overdose, poor maintenance, overfeeding and NH4 than from Dichlorobromomethane poisoning from their tap water.

Cheers,

Hi, Clive.

DICHLOROBROMOMETHANE (now thats a long scarry word, LOL).

SYMPTOMS: Symptoms of exposure to this compound may include irritation of the skin, eyes, mucous membranes and respiratory tract. It may also cause narcosis. Other symptoms may include nausea, dizziness and headache. It may also cause liver and kidney damage. Central nervous system effects may also occur. (NTP, 1992)

If fish were suffering from exposure to this then they would surely be suceptable to other diseases within the tank and would probably fall foul of those ailments first effectivly masking the real cause of the problem.

There has been a lot writen about damage to liver and kidneys and to the central nervous system particularly by some of the discus guru's. One of the main problems is that the damage that occurs is internal and as such you may be blissfully unaware that there is even a problem until the fish is belly up.

Themuleous said:
Haha ;) I'd prob use rainwater rather RO, as have the system already installed so makes sense.

Sam

I haven't that option Sam and there would be to many polutants from traffic where I live even if I did have a slate roof. Nice and cheap though, LOL.

Themuleous said:
Whatever is in my water (I hope) is safe for us to drink. If so, its safe to go into my tank :)

Sam

Sorry I just don't follow that train of thought mate.

We aren't fish we have completly different levels of tolarence to other species of creatures and we don't live and breath in water. When our air is poluted whether it be by ciggerete smoke, leaded petrol or or murcury vapours, etc etc, then we as living breathing flesh suffer, fact, proven, indesputable, undenialble,fact. So why should it be any differnet for creatures whose atmosheric medium is water? When the water is poluted surely they suffer. Levels which we may consider safe for us to drink are almost certainly not safe for all aquatic life forms to live in, you need look no further than chlorine to prove that point.

Back