• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

uncomplicated way to propogate hc.

mr. luke

My method for propogating hc is to use a small clear container with potting soil and keep the soil damp but not wet as such.
Open the lid every now and then to let air in and be patient.
not a very high tech aproach but my portion has doubled in size in about 2 weeks so it cant eb that bad :)
the exact tub im using is a 'dorito dip' glass jar :p

I had a similar method, except using Aquasoil and a heater propagator I found in the garage. All was going very well until some horrible mystery algae engulfed it all! Maybe there was too much water in, who knows :rolleyes:

As of last week I am also trying this method.
Using a £3 B&Q propagator and some potting compost.

I also have a propogator that im going to use once the jar fills up :D
mosses also do well like this ;)

That is good to hear about the mosses Luke. Because as well as the HC I am trying mossess (holger, taiwan and peacock) and also some crypts (Parva, wendtii green and willissi).

Early days yet for me, I have a thread going here in the emersed section and will update that when I get a feel for how things are progressing.

dwarf hairgrass does well to but seems to grow slower this way than submerged for me

I also had good results with a plastic tub under my tank light with HC, seems to grow faster and with bigger leaves. It was going well until I went away for a weekend and it had dried to a crisp - doh! Are you guys using any artificial light or just a sunny window sill?

T

sunny windowsill all the way for me. no heater, filter or lights.... super low tech!
May have to put a heater in when the temps drop. in Autumn, and I expect growth to slow considerably as the days get shorter as well. For now all is good though.

Matt could you could post a photo of some of you're mosses growing emersed. I'm fascinated to see if this damp flat green thing on my window will ever look beutiful, I need some inspiration :!:

Even Java moss grows upward. I use it on top of the rockwool to block the light and therefore stop algae/cyano etc.
anubiatray2.jpg

It will of course disappear before coming back but you will be quite taken back with the colouration of emergent leaves.

My Wendtii brown and greens have natural yellows and reds mixed in with the greens, purples and browns. I would've take some pics but I moved them yesterday and they've all flopped :) Got to wait again now.

AC

Ok so I've got the old propagator out of the shed and filled the pots with compost - do I keep the compost wet by putting water into the propagator or do I just water frequently? I have a mister to use daily for the leaves.

Back