• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

umm ok

toaster

ok, so here i was thinking.. my tank is doing ok, there is steady growth, not the fastest. I woke up this morning, dosed it with easy cargo and went to uni everything was just like normal

when I came back later this evening, I had a HUGE outbreak of this spider web, thready stuff! I've never seen this before . whats up there?

There was a lot more than that but I removed it. Even now after I removed it, it seems like its coming back :/

9ulpuo.jpg

7.5ltr Fluval Spec
Stock LED lighting for 7-8 hours a day (can't find an accurate wattage, my guess would be around 4watts?)
And i shine my desk lamp on it for about 2hours

Dosing with
0.2ml EasyCarbo daily
and adding 2.5ml Tetra Liquid Plant food every weekly water change.
and root tabs every 2weeks

Again this morning there was a lot more of this stuff. I removed it with my pinsers. I cannot understand why my plants aren't overcoming this? I can only assume maybe its the lighting isn't good enough and that I'm not dosing everything properly.

toaster said:
7.5ltr Fluval Spec
Stock LED lighting for 7-8 hours a day (can't find an accurate wattage, my guess would be around 4watts?)
And i shine my desk lamp on it for about 2hours

Dosing with
0.2ml EasyCarbo daily
and adding 2.5ml Tetra Liquid Plant food every weekly water change.
and root tabs every 2weeks

why every 2 weeks?
what root tabs are you using?

i would stop with the root tabs myself, roots tabs tend to be slow release and should last a lot longer than two weeks.

Only add root tabs if you plants start to show deficiency. But technically your liquid plant food should providing a majority of what the plant needs.

Update, I added a few more shrimp to the tank and kept tackling the algae with my tweezers, added slightly more liquid co2 and it seems to have gone. Ok, I'll keep that root tab advice in mind.

I think the only problem with the tank could be the lighting? I'm wondering if the 9w arcadia pod would be a good call for it, might be 1 or 2 watt higher then needed but that should be fine, no?

thanks for the help.

Any suggestions to alternatives. I don't feel to confident in the stock lighting it has.

TOO MUCH light will make your problems a whole lot worse, not better! More light will make your tank more unstable, and result in MORE algae, not less. I can't see your pics or link to the relevant website from silly work computer but go to James Cs Algae page (i'm sure someone helpful will post the link) and that should tell you what the root cause of the problem is. As other folks have said i'd back off on the root tabs, and just dose your ferts and easy-carbo. My general rule with algae is increase ferts until it goes away, as most algae arises from nutrient deficincies of one sort or another.
Hope this helps,
Matt

Ok, I'll stick my the LED lighting I have for now and see how progress goes. Jame's website recommended a rich plant environment with a good co2 as well as disturbing the algae. It seems to have disappeared for now, this is the 2nd day having no signs of it.

Back